Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi guys

I bought a "brand new" Airport Express v2 the other day. Completely sealed and "new" - I know it's from a few years back.

I plugged it in, added to my wifi, updated the Express to SW v. 7.8.1. All good.

The Express is set to join my existing network. And so it does.

Issues:

1) If I stream music to it for a while from iPhone, then disconnect from it from iPhone, then after 1 minute or so it shows the yellow warning triangle in Airport Utility. The device itself stays Green in the status led. But it no longer appears in airport devices. I have to reboot it order to stream / make it visible on the network again.

2) If i just leave it connected, the same thing happens after 5-10 minutes: yellow warning triangle in Airport Utility - but device itself stays Green in the status led.

- I have tried changing channels on my router, no result.
- I have set the same security on my router and the Express, no result.
- I have done a hard reset, reconnected, no result.

Any ideas?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It is possible your main router is not liking the current connection setup due to security settings? Try putting the AE in bridge mode and see how it does.

I have a U-Versus router and tried connecting as usual to the network and U-Versus didn't like that because AE tried to be the main router for the system, and the U-Verse router would cause the AE to go yellow and not work like it should. Once I put the AE in bridge mode. the U-Versus router didn't object and the AE stays green.

riise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
It is possible your main router is not liking the current connection setup due to security settings? Try putting the AE in bridge mode and see how it does.

I have a U-Versus router and tried connecting as usual to the network and U-Versus didn't like that because AE tried to be the main router for the system, and the U-Verse router would cause the AE to go yellow and not work like it should. Once I put the AE in bridge mode. the U-Versus router didn't object and the AE stays green.
How do I put it in Bridge mode?

riise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have an Airport Express 1 gen device also. If I set this up the same way, this older device seems to behave the same way after some time.

Is there a way to completely reset the device? - I mean - the packaging was still sealed, so NEVER used before - seems strange that it should be defect from day 1...

Do I need to update some ports on the huawei router maybe?

Last edited:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I have an Airport Express 1 gen device also. If I set this up the same way, this older device seems to behave the same way after some time.

Is there a way to completely reset the device? - I mean - the packaging was still sealed, so NEVER used before - seems strange that it should be defect from day 1...

Do I need to update some ports on the huawei router maybe?

Yes the article Apple said you have to make sure your third party router lets those ports on your internal network!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.