Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
not sure if theres a thread already, couldnt search for it.

but from reviews on the apple site lots of ppl saying it only last just over a year and then just suddenly dies out.
is there any warranty to cover this or opinion regarding this?
im thinking about getting one on 1st december sale thing.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Mine is my main wireless router unfortunately (home theater system is in another room) and its been running for at least a year+ now with no problems.

Just get it, the thing rocks when connected to your stereo. I'm thinking about adding a wireless router to this years Christmas list just to use the AE in my living room while on my PowerBook. I loved doing that when I lived with my parents. I miss it.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
i have 3 at home (purchased all of them the day they were launched). no problems with any of them. about once a year, my entire network drops out, and i have to re-set it all up, other than that, no issues.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have a couple of them; both about two years old. One of them has been running problem-free the whole time. The other one I've had to unplug from the wall, then plug it back in (resetting it) maybe 4-6 times over that time period.

Not bad, all in all - certainly more reliable than my old D-Link router ever was (and I was satisfied with that as well).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There was some site that was collecting anecdotal evidence of high failure rates in the first batch of AirPort Expresses...I believe it was a blown capacitor that often happened soon after the warranty ran out. Supposedly the issue was fixed within a year.

FWIW, I bought one right after they were released and it's running fine 2+ years later.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I ordered one as soon as it was announced, and have been using it 24/7 for about 2.5 years now I questimate. Have not had any problems, and I stream about 2-3 hours of music a day.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Had mine running for 1.5+ years, it has been the definition of Apple's Ease of Use, love it.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I've got one that's been running for 16 months and no problems at all, not even needed a reset.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
The Apple site is full of people claiming they're crap, but all I can say is that mine, like the others above, is so far problem-free, after two years.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have five of them. The first one, bought years ago when they first came out, has run with no problems whatsoever. The second one, bought maybe a year and a half ago, needs the occasional power cycle, which is annoying but livable. The third and fourth ones are about a year old and have been problem free. The fifth was bought second hand a while ago but has also been problem free.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
My parents have two of them for sharing internet/streaming music to the stereo; they've been flawless for the year or so that they've been in use...no complaints thusfar.

apb3

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
PTSD therapy
I have two.

The first, from the initial release batch, has had no issues aside from having to reset it once after about a week of use but I think that had to do with a power outage we had just prior.

The second hasn't even required that much effort in the 2 years I've used it 24/7.

They really are, in my experience at least, the epitome of fire and forget devices.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
It's hardly likely to be full of people proclaiming its greatness though. ;)

I feel like many of the 'incidents' with bad products are really a creation of the complain-because-I-can phenomenon, where the few people who do have a problem complain, leaving the immense majority without problems silent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.