Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
We recently had a power outage, which may or may not be the cause of my issue because other electronics that are plugged into the same surge protector are operational.. after the outage I noticed that my network was acting up, not giving my the full strength that it normally does, so I checked on my Express, this is a remote Express not my primary, so I am still able to connect to the web, and found that it was off. The Express also has an smell (when putting the end with the connections up to your nose) to it, like an electrical smell. Did it fry, over heat? Maybe it was my fault for having put it in a stereo cabinet.

Getting to my point... I have two Expresses, one that is still less then a year old and would still be under warranty but I can't remember which one it is, both look clean and white, with my luck it is the operational one. Is there a way to determine? Would apple even touch it if it was? I also don't want to pest my mother-in-law for the receipt unless I know for a fact that it is the newer one that is dead.

Thanks

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Sounds like something blew in there...maybe the capacitor that has doomed so many Expresses. You should be able to input the serial number at Apple's support site and get the warranty info for it.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Sounds like something blew in there...maybe the capacitor that has doomed so many Expresses. You should be able to input the serial number at Apple's support site and get the warranty info for it.

Thanks, I was just on apple's discussions reading about issues other users have been having. I love the express, need another so regardless if it is an issue or not I am going to get it fixed or a new one. Do you know where on apple's site I can input my serial number, been looking for it and can't find it. I did find my apple care info but no where to check on other registered products. Thanks again.

update...
Okay I found where to input my SN but it just gives me the specifications on the Express, nothing about when I registered etc.. I have a feeling that this is the older one.. maybe I should just ask my mother-in-law if she has the receipt... or, do I need one?

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
The Express also has an smell (when putting the end with the connections up to your nose) to it, like an electrical smell. Did it fry, over heat? Maybe it was my fault for having put it in a stereo cabinet.

The only way to tell if it fried is by licking it. I like my express' medium-rare and by the sounds of it your express is cooked perfectly.

If you bought Apple Care on your computer then the Apple care also covers the express for the time the computer is covered.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002

WOW.. how did I miss that one! Okay so it turns out that this one was purchased in 2004.. so looks like I am in the market for a new one.. going to have to use some of my Wii money for it.. sorry Wii but having a good wireless signal throughout the house is just more important right now.. my wife will be pleased also because she fears that the Wii will distract me from school.. i gree ;)

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
The only way to tell if it fried is by licking it. I like my express' medium-rare and by the sounds of it your express is cooked perfectly.

Okay, (licks) hmmm.. over cooked just as I thought.

If you bought Apple Care on your computer then the Apple care also covers the express for the time the computer is covered.

Thanks, unfortunately no, purchased at different times.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Whoa proof?

http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html

Under Comprehensive coverage:

he AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac, as well as an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, and Apple RAM used with your Mac. Mac mini, Mac Pro, Power Mac, MacBook Pro, and PowerBook customers may also register one Apple display for coverage, provided that the Mac and the display are purchased together.

It also covers Apple branded memory that you put into the computer and the Display (if purchased at the same time on some machines)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html

Under Comprehensive coverage:

It also covers Apple branded memory that you put into the computer and the Display (if purchased at the same time on some machines)
Nice but what if I don't buy AppleCare, my Mac, and the Airport all at the same time? I'm going to wait for 1-year to roll around before AppleCare. That and my Airport Express was bought before my current Mac.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Nice but what if I don't buy AppleCare, my Mac, and the Airport all at the same time? I'm going to wait for 1-year to roll around before AppleCare. That and my Airport Express was bought before my current Mac.

If you don't buy Apple Care then it has its usual 1 year of hardware coverage. The coverage does not say how old the base station can be. If push came to shove I would argue that because of the way it's worded it doesn't matter what the age of the base station is.

You can always call and ask them.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Excellent points about AppleCare. I remember seeing someone mention very recently that they got their AirPort Express replaced under their computer's AppleCare, and I'm almost certain the AirPort Express was not purchased at the same time.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Whoa proof?

I just got my Airport Express replaced via Applecare. I bought the Airport Express months before I bought the Mac to go with it :p The fact I had Applecare on the computer I was using it with was enough for them to consider it replaceable under warranty. No questions asked.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If you don't buy Apple Care then it has its usual 1 year of hardware coverage. The coverage does not say how old the base station can be. If push came to shove I would argue that because of the way it's worded it doesn't matter what the age of the base station is.

You can always call and ask them.
Oh I know about the standard one-year limited warranty. I'm not terribly curious as my Airport Express works fine. (Though it does reach 1 year on Black Friday. :p )

I just got my Airport Express replaced via Applecare. I bought the Airport Express months before I bought the Mac to go with it :p The fact I had Applecare on the computer I was using it with was enough for them to consider it replaceable under warranty. No questions asked.
Very nice. If my Airport dies I'll just get AppleCare on my Mac. The difference is only $23.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.