Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
Will the airport express printer port accept a USB hub? i want to put 2 printers on it and a scanner. can i use a USB hub. if it can be done, do i need to use a powered hub or can i get by with the cheapie since the devices shouldn't need power like a mouse, camera, etc.

if this is going to require buying an extreme base station and a couple more express modules, i can swap cables instead of spending a bunch of money.

i already had a printer and a scanner, but a free printer with my new macbooks was hard to turn down. and i can always use an alternate printer.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
for normal use, you can only attach one printer to it.

the only exception to this is you can attach the keyspan remote receiver to the usb port, and you can attach both the keyspan and a printer using a hub, these are the only combinations that will work.

hope that helps!

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
do i have any more opyions?

thanx guys, that's exactly what i did not want to hear. looks like life is not going to be simple (is it ever?)

okay, if i decide to go out and spend some more $, what am i going to need to do this job. in particular how to get the scanner to work wirelessly. i am probably erroneously presupposing that another express will take care of another printer. does apple make a simple print-server module for this?

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
thanx guys, that's exactly what i did not want to hear. looks like life is not going to be simple (is it ever?)

okay, if i decide to go out and spend some more $, what am i going to need to do this job. in particular how to get the scanner to work wirelessly. i am probably erroneously presupposing that another express will take care of another printer. does apple make a simple print-server module for this?

ok, as far as i know you cannot scan wirelessly, another airport express would sort out the other printer, or you could buy a wireless printer (one with wifi built in).

why can't you plug things in directly? or perhaps you need to share them amongst computers? in which case a kvm switch is probably what you need.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
ok, as far as i know you cannot scan wirelessly, another airport express would sort out the other printer, or you could buy a wireless printer (one with wifi built in).

why can't you plug things in directly? or perhaps you need to share them amongst computers? in which case a kvm switch is probably what you need.

i bought an MB and an MBP. i really don't want the wires and i want to trash my old eMac (give it to my cousin's nephew), but i want the MB's to do everything the old eMac did, and do it wirelessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.