Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danskin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
I'm now in college and using the airport express to turn my ethernet network into wifi.
However, the network requires authentication. Every time I use my iPhone, iPad and Macbook it directs me to the authentication page. This is really irritating as the connection loses very quickly after the devices go to sleep (especially iPhone and iPad). Then I have to login in again separately.
Is there a way which I can simply login once, and all three devices are free of logging in???

thanks

Last edited:

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I'm now in college and using the airport express to turn my ethernet network into wifi.
However, the network requires authentication. Every time I use my iPhone, iPad and Macbook it directs me to the authentication page. This is really irritating as the connection loses very quickly after the devices go to sleep (especially iPhone and iPad). Then I have to login in again separately.
Is there a way which I can simply login once, and all three devices are free of logging in???

thanks

Specifically, what is it asking you for ? Is it losing the Network Password ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

thanks

This sounds like something put in place by the college's IT staff, and not something related to the Airport. Better give the college IT staff a call to see what they say.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
Have a look at that pages source code. Maybe you can create a bookmark of the login page with your id and password already filled in.

Do you have any HTML knowledge?

danskin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Have a look at that pages source code. Maybe you can create a bookmark of the login page with your id and password already filled in.

Do you have any HTML knowledge?

No I don't think so :( although I do know how to look into the source code!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Do you have Network set to "Off - Bridge mode"? If so, that could be the problem.

I suggest that the Airport Utility settings be:

Internet: DHCP
Wireless: Create a Wireless Network
Network: DHCP and NAT

This should allow your Airport Express to maintain the login connection to your school's network... and having your individual devices going to sleep should not affact the AE WAN connectivity.

If this doesn't work... it sounds like something that your school is putting in place.

/Jim

danskin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Do you have Network set to "Off - Bridge mode"? If so, that could be the problem.

I suggest that the Airport Utility settings be:

Internet: DHCP
Wireless: Create a Wireless Network
Network: DHCP and NAT

This should allow your Airport Express to maintain the login connection to your school's network... and having your individual devices going to sleep should not affact the AE WAN connectivity.

If this doesn't work... it sounds like something that your school is putting in place.

/Jim

WOW this surely works out!! I've been out for half a day and still my phone connects without having to login manually!!!! Thank you so much;)
One more thing. After I set it to DHCP and NAT, the orange light started flashing and a error sign said that there was a 'Double NAT'. It connected to the internet just fine, so I clicked ignore. What does 'Double NAT' mean? Just want to know more:rolleyes:
Anyway thank you sooooo much. Really appreciate it!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
WOW this surely works out!! I've been out for half a day and still my phone connects without having to login manually!!!! Thank you so much;)
One more thing. After I set it to DHCP and NAT, the orange light started flashing and a error sign said that there was a 'Double NAT'. It connected to the internet just fine, so I clicked ignore. What does 'Double NAT' mean? Just want to know more:rolleyes:
Anyway thank you sooooo much. Really appreciate it!

NAT stands for Netowork Address Translation (if I remember right). That is what allows all of your devices behind your router (Airport Express) to share the same global address. Evidently, your school already has a NAT in place as well. I have not found any issues with double NAT and have ignored it in the past.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.