Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ViciousFrank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hi!

I have a AirPort Time Capsule (previous generation) that is working well. And I bought a new AirPort Extreme that I connected some days ago. It is connected in DHCP through a switch to the AirPort Time Capsule. It also create a wireless network that have the same SSID/Password as the AirPort Time Capsule and Router Mode is set to Off (Bridge Mode).

My devices work well if they connect first to the AirPort Time Capsule first and are moved to proximity to the AirPort Extreme. But, they cannot connect from the AirPort Extreme, the Network SSID appear but fail to connect. I don't know why...

If I recall correctly, I had the exact same configuration with older AirPort Extreme with a friend and it was working well.

Does anybody would have a clue of what is going on?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Unless you configure the new AE to "extend" the network, you won't be able to just us the same SSID and have it work. Rerun setup and set it to extend an existing network.

ViciousFrank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Montreal, QC, Canada
That had the same SSID, but thank you for suggesting Weaselboy.

It seems to work now by using a static IP address on the AirPort Extreme. I don't know why it is required though...

----------

Oh sorry Weaselboy, I misread you.

In fact, this is the way I found to make it work when the bridge (Express) and the router (Time Capsule) are connected by ethernet, otherwise it fails. And trying to extend the current wireless network without a cable did not work because they were too far away.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
That had the same SSID, but thank you for suggesting Weaselboy.

It seems to work now by using a static IP address on the AirPort Extreme. I don't know why it is required though...

----------

Oh sorry Weaselboy, I misread you.

In fact, this is the way I found to make it work when the bridge (Express) and the router (Time Capsule) are connected by ethernet, otherwise it fails. And trying to extend the current wireless network without a cable did not work because they were too far away.

I have 4 AEs, all linked by a LAN and all with the same SSID etc. My WiFi devices can all link to any of the 4 AEs. None of the "other" 3 are extending the main unit, but are operating to create a Roaming Network. So this confirms your result.

However, all 4 have fixed IP addresses also.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I have 4 AEs, all linked by a LAN and all with the same SSID etc. ... None of the "other" 3 are extending the main unit, but are operating to create a Roaming Network.However, all 4 have fixed IP addresses also.
I run similar setup, only with 2 AP Extremes. 1st AP is the outward router, 2nd is bridged to first with a DHCP-reserved IP address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.