Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I have dug out my old AirPort Extreme as I need to extend my Wi-Fi network, and don’t want to spend any money. It is the last generation AirPort Extreme, so the square tower version, with wifi ac I think? Anyway, I have reset it and am attempting to set it up as a Wi-Fi extender only I think the choice is “ add to an existing network” but the setup keeps defaulting to “set up a new network”. So this is the question, can the AirPort Extreme be used as a Wi-Fi extender only, or does it need to be a base station with Ethernet from the modem plugged into it, to create and broadcast a network?

might be important, firmware 7.7.7 I think….can’t update it as I can’t get it on the network yer.

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
It should be possible to do a wireless extended network. Are you setting it up within good reach of the existing Wi-Fi network? According to this archived support article you should do a manual setup and choose “Extend a wireless network” from the Wireless Mode menu.

But for best performance if possible connect with ethernet from the primary Wi-Fi base station and put the Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode. Cable is king! This is what Apple calls a "roaming network" in these old support documents:

Reactions: trusso

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
That’s the problem. I choose this option, but the next page defaults to “set up new network” option. Can’t seem to find a way around this issue…..

roaming network isn’t an option as I need to extend my current network……

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Are you doing this with a wireless network connecting to non-Apple router?

I didn’t thing that this would work.

I have done this with an AirPort Express, connected wirelessly to non-Apple equipment, but this was only to use the Ethernet port on the APE like a wireless access point, connected to a MagicJack to give it internet.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Are you doing this with a wireless network connecting to non-Apple router?

I didn’t thing that this would work.

I have done this with an AirPort Express, connected wirelessly to non-Apple equipment, but this was only to use the Ethernet port on the APE like a wireless access point, connected to a MagicJack to give it internet.
That’s exactly what I’m trying to do yes. I have an AirPort Express in the system currently which is working flawlessly, but I need to extend the network further , and the added LAN ports on the Extreme would be useful for what I’m planning. The base router is whatever comes with the ISP. Should say, it’s not my house, rented accommodation, so I’m trying to work around what‘s here.

Kenjutsuz

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2020
I have dug out my old AirPort Extreme as I need to extend my Wi-Fi network, and don’t want to spend any money. It is the last generation AirPort Extreme, so the square tower version, with wifi ac I think? Anyway, I have reset it and am attempting to set it up as a Wi-Fi extender only I think the choice is “ add to an existing network” but the setup keeps defaulting to “set up a new network”. So this is the question, can the AirPort Extreme be used as a Wi-Fi extender only, or does it need to be a base station with Ethernet from the modem plugged into it, to create and broadcast a network?

might be important, firmware 7.7.7 I think….can’t update it as I can’t get it on the network yer.
Firmware not up to date...mine 7.9.1

mavots

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
I've always considered the AExtreme as the base station and other AExtremes or AExpresses extended that network. The network was set up on the base AExt and the others devices would find it. A second AExt will find the base AExtreme's wifi network. I used a second, extended AExtreme attached directly to my Mac Mini since the Mini had a lousy wifi antenna and the router base was in another room.
Not sure if a previously unattached AExtreme can find your non-Airport ISP router's wifi network. Perhaps your AExpress had no issues connecting since it's always been considered an extender.
I finally ditched my Airport network for a TP-Link Deco mesh setup. While my cable modem/router had a 500Mbps output, my Airport Extreme/Express wi-fi signal was 30-80Mbps at best and sometimes disconnected. I lived with this for years. The mesh system gives my a reliable 300Mbps. I know you don't want to spend any funds but the Deco's range in price from very affordable to expensive.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Can’t update it if I cNt get it on the network……..
I am thinking that it is not the firmware that is causing your issue.

That said, can you not just plug it in to your current router to update the firmware?

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I am thinking that it is not the firmware that is causing your issue.

That said, can you not just plug it in to your current router to update the firmware?
maybe. At the moment it’s not that important….I might get round to trying it sometime. Agree it’s probably not a firmware issue. I really can’t be bothered to put the time in, but I suspect that this device needs to be connected directly to the modem, it can’t work as a network extender like an express.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Even though Apple only technically allows you to wirelessly extend an existing Airport connection, I don't see why it shouldn't work in theory. You can enable ssh on the airport and you'll find it's just a regular openbsd config. So I think in principle if you configured wpa_supplicant properly you could have it connect to any existing wireless network. The only issue is that settings seem to be updated periodically by some daemon, and I can't figure out how you'd override it permanently. Someone with greater knowledge of openbsd would need to monkey around with it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.