Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
My wifi has been giving us fits as of late, and I'm fairly certain it's not the signal from the neighborhood node nor my modem, so that left my 2009 2TB Apple Time Capsule as the culprit.

My Aiport Extreme showed up today, and I've had no issues with XBox, iPad, iMac, iPhones, etc. since setting it up.

Now, what's the best way to keep my TC regularly backing up our iMac? What settings do I need to change? Would USB or Ethernet be better?

Thanks

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Now, what's the best way to keep my TC regularly backing up our iMac? What settings do I need to change? Would USB or Ethernet be better?

The best solution would be to set the "Wireless" tab to off, the "Internet" tab to DHCP, and the "Network" tab to Off (Bridge Mode). Then, connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Extreme to the WAN port on the Time Capsule and it will become simply an NAS on the network.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The best solution would be to set the "Wireless" tab to off, the "Internet" tab to DHCP, and the "Network" tab to Off (Bridge Mode). Then, connect an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Extreme to the WAN port on the Time Capsule and it will become simply an NAS on the network.
Thank you. That's exactly what I ended up doing. Somehow my backups become corrupted in the whole ordeal and I had to start a new one, but it all worked out and is backing up just fine again.

Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thank you. That's exactly what I ended up doing. Somehow my backups become corrupted in the whole ordeal and I had to start a new one, but it all worked out and is backing up just fine again.

Thanks.

No problem! I love how with the Time Capsule you can use accounts like a regular NAS as well. Report back if you have any questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.