Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
I got a used AirPort Extreme (5th gen.) as a replacement of the missing internal AirPort in G5 Quad. Unfortunately, for some reason it fails to be configured properly. I wanna know what can be tried, since device itself appears functional: it starts up and is recognized after reset both over WiFi from MacBook Pro and over Ethernet from PowerMac. Firmware is 7.8.1. The problem occurs after setting it up to connect to existing WiFi network: once set up, it is no longer seen in AirPort Utility (over WiFi and Ethernet alike) and internet does not work when it is connected over Ethernet to PowerMac. AirPort Extreme itself behaves as if set-up has been successful: green light is displayed. But for both Macs it just “vanishes”.
Upon reset it returns to original state, orange light, and both Macs can see it as unconfigured device. Attempt to configure it again fails in the same way. I have tried factory reset, to the same effect.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I didn't think AirPort Extreme can join a network, only the expresses. Is there really an option to “join existing network”?

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Okay I gave up with that, any other suggestions?

On PowerMac I get option to join existing network, but it does not result in a working set up.
On MacBook Pro I get only Extend network choice, and once I set it up, Airport Utility displays an error device is inaccessible afterwards (so I cannot modify any settings, only reset the device), even though it displays green light as if it is set up.
I cannot figure out how to reach the screen show here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7361999
airp.png

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Yeah WDS requires a main node that your airport would connect to. I don’t know if any modern wifi gear has WDS anymore, it was a big deal 15 years ago (even then though, it worked poorly at best, and is slow).
I’m sure you could get a modern wifi-ethernet bridge pretty cheap these days. Or an old airport express…

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Yeah WDS requires a main node that your airport would connect to. I don’t know if any modern wifi gear has WDS anymore, it was a big deal 15 years ago (even then though, it worked poorly at best, and is slow).
I’m sure you could get a modern wifi-ethernet bridge pretty cheap these days. Or an old airport express…

Well, yeah, of course I can get another Express if everything fails with Extreme, but then I have no alternative use for Extreme at all. It cannot do AirPlay (no optical out) and the only thing I need from it is to be a router for the Quad to access local wifi network.
I am kinda genuinely surprised that a more expensive device of the same product line cannot perform the most basic function that Express can :confused:

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Well, yeah, of course I can get another Express if everything fails with Extreme, but then I have no alternative use for Extreme at all. It cannot do AirPlay (no optical out) and the only thing I need from it is to be a router for the Quad to access local wifi network.
I am kinda genuinely surprised that a more expensive device of the same product line cannot perform the most basic function that Express can :confused:
I understand, it is vexing, I’ve been there already :) that’s why my expresses have stayed in service while the Extremes are retired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.