Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poohat1000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
London
hi i have a 2mb connection, its always been fast but recently its been having odd peroids where everything goes insanely slow, i suspect someone in the local vicinity is leeching bandwidth somehow, is there any tool in osx (or that i can download) that will show me if this is happening and also how to stop it?

thanks

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
poohat1000 said:
hi i have a 2mb connection, its always been fast but recently its been having odd peroids where everything goes insanely slow, i suspect someone in the local vicinity is leeching bandwidth somehow, is there any tool in osx (or that i can download) that will show me if this is happening and also how to stop it?

thanks
i know theres a website. i unfortunatly dont know the URL but the site shows who or how many people are connected to u

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
poohat1000 said:
is there any tool in osx (or that i can download) that will show me if this is happening and also how to stop it?
Most routers have a web based utility that shows who is connected to them. (IP address, MAC address, hostname).

You didn't say if your wifi network was created from your Mac or an Airport Extreme, Airport Express or some other third party router/access point. Provide a few more details on your setup and you'll likely get more useful responses.

B

poohat1000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
London
ok cool, i dont know much about this thing but here goes:

the bb cable is going into a router (draytek) which is then connected to a PC and my airport express base station, this base station is then shared between my mac upstairs and another imac downstairs

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
In airport admin utility under the first tab click change wireless security... and make sure that there is a password in the blanks

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Look at the DHCP client list and see what was given an IP. (or you can manually ping your subnet from .1 to .254 to see what gives a reply, but this doesn't guarantee info because they could have a firewall dropping ICMP packets or the machine could just be off). Then you should enable encryption using WPA/WPA2 or if I would turn on WPA with Radius authentication. A free public radius server service is available at: http://www.witopia.net/aboutsecuremy.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.