Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello!

I HAVE AIRPORT WOES!

when i have only my mac open, everthing is dandy.

but now, when i turn on my pc and go onto my airport extreme network, i get this error message on my mac:

"IP Configuration

71.147.3.x. in use by 00:12:17:6c:xx:xx, DHCP Server 192.168.x.x"

with numbers in place of the x's of course....

and neither of my computers can get onto the network at all!

i disable the wireless on my pc and my mac gets on just fine! xenophobe?

help please!

r.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Is any computer on the network set for static ip addressing? If one of the computers is set for a static ip address that is within the range of the DHCP addresses given out by your DHCP server, there could be a conflict. If you are using DHCP, then everything else should be set to DHCP also unless there is a specific need for a non-changing ip address, and then you should make sure that the static ip is outside of the range of the DHCP address given out by the DHCP server (usually your router).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It looks like you're not using the Airport's DHCP+NAT option - is that intentional?

Most ISPs, by default, only want to give out one public DHCP address per household. If you're trying to have two home computers both pull DHCP addresses from the SBC Global server, that could be your problem right there.

If you're paying SBC for two DHCP connections, than what I'm saying is irrelevant - but otherwise switch to NAT. That way only your Extreme grabs a public DHCP address, and you can have any arbitrary number of computers on the private network behind it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.