Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
I have a semi complex wifi system with a cable modem/airport extreme in my den (w/AppleTV via ethernet, another airport extreme tied to a HD Homerun and my Mac Min in an office (extending the den network), and an airport express attached to my stereo receiver for iTunes/Music airplay in the living room (joined to the den network)
When it works it works but......it flakes out once in a while. Either the Office AE or stereo Airport extreme stop connecting. Airplay is a flaky too, especially with Airfoil.
My office Mac Mini wants to connect to the closest AE in the office. Iphone, Ipad and macbook all connect to the modem AE but the Mac Mini connects to the closest AE in the office and gets only 25GB vs 120GB/s.

I'm ready to chuck the whole lot out and start fresh and will need:
1-Router for the modem in Den.
2-Router for the HD Homerun and Mac Mini in Office (extend network?)
3-somekind of satellite device (express or ATV) to connect via airplay to receiver in Living Room. (join network?)

Is there some other non-apple equipment that can do all this and actually work?
Anyone actually talk to a human about this. I find forums dificult to communicate with complex issues.

Thanks

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
I gave up with Airport and Time Machine some time ago - Airport because it was flaky and I was frequently having to reset it and the modem, Time Machine because I was having trouble recovering files.
I now use a Synology for my back-ups (instead of Time Machine I use Synology's apps which are very good).
The home Network uses a Deco mesh system which is superb. In the network are 2 Apple TVs and a Sonos. I use Music and Spotify.
No idea if that would work for your situation, just giving some ideas.
Good luck!

mavots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2019
Seattle, WA
I gave up with Airport and Time Machine some time ago - Airport because it was flaky and I was frequently having to reset it and the modem, Time Machine because I was having trouble recovering files.
I now use a Synology for my back-ups (instead of Time Machine I use Synology's apps which are very good).
The home Network uses a Deco mesh system which is superb. In the network are 2 Apple TVs and a Sonos. I use Music and Spotify.
No idea if that would work for your situation, just giving some ideas.
Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. The network would be easy to set up with a non-Airport router. I can probably use an old AppleTV to connect to the network and reciever and stream music from my Mac.
The harder part is connecting my HDHomerun to a router that is then part of the network. Basically two routers, one main one with wifi/cable internet and the other as a simple connector for over the air TV.

Reactions: Geoff777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.