Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Sunrunner said:
Of course, you could just use Remote Desktop and control the desktop computer...

Well as I've noted on a previous post, I've tried this with VNC and while it certainly does work, I don't think it's quite what it could be. I'd imagine Remote Desktop is a little snappier than VNC, although it does cost a couple hundred bucks. If one instance of iTunes could control another, on the other hand, that would be super easy, snappy ... and presumably free.

My post is obviously just a perfect-world wish, not a complaint ... I realize there are solutions out there. Apple has just spoiled us into thinking we don't have to settle for things that merely "do the job."

Crunchy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2004
Kansas
dloomer said:
My post is obviously just a perfect-world wish, not a complaint ... I realize there are solutions out there. Apple has just spoiled us into thinking we don't have to settle for things that merely "do the job."

I agree. I'll be shocked if Apple doesn't spoil us with something fantastic down the road. I do wonder why it hasn't happened yet, and speculate that it may be that the market isn't ready for a solution yet. But some folks thought the market wasn't ready for the iPod either. Of course, it wasn't ready in 2001. Early adopters saw the (compressed) digital media light by then, but iPod sales didn't explode until 2003 (I think). So maybe there would be a good reason to introduce a remote music streaming solution for us early adopters, and let the market catch up.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It's the Keyspan Express Remote, stupid!

dloomer said:
Well yeah, a few people in this thread already beat you to the punch though, like yesterday ...

And yet people still don't seem to get it.

PEOPLE: THIS IS REFERRING TO THE KEYSPAN EXPRESS REMOTE AND THE EXISTING CAPABILITIES OF THE AIRPORT EXPRESS AND ITUNES!!!
Maybe that'll do it. I doubt it, though.

Yes, it's still possible that Apple will release their own remote, and hopefully they'll release an AirPort Express-like device with HD out; but this error message rather obviously points to the existing stuff. Heck, it's specifically mentioned in the readme for AirPort Express firmware 6.1.

mods: Sorry for the extreme nature of this message. But people just don't seem to be getting it, even with the repeated messages stating it. If you feel the need to edit, please just change the formatting, and leave the text as written.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
It's iPod Jim, but not as we know it.

Dr.Gargoyle said:
How would this remote look like? I mean Apple wouldn't just take any generic remote and spray paint it white.

I agree. You can buy the AirClick today if a simple remote is all you need.

Here is my idea: picture an iPod Mini without a hard drive and about half the thickness. This remote would allow you to browse your computer's music library the same way you browse an iPod's library.

edgar_is_good

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Seattle, WA
ehurtley said:
And yet people still don't seem to get it.

PEOPLE: THIS IS REFERRING TO THE KEYSPAN EXPRESS REMOTE AND THE EXISTING CAPABILITIES OF THE AIRPORT EXPRESS AND ITUNES!!!

Maybe that'll do it. I doubt it, though.

Dude, in addition to being loud, I also think you're wrong. I could have my computer plugged into a stereo directly and use the keyspan remote. A firewall would only block network traffic, hence I interpret this to be a network based remote having problems, and thus 802.11x, not through the USB dongle from Keyspan, which would work regardless of a firewall.

So can we agree to disagree and you not shout?

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
edgar_is_good said:
Dude, in addition to being loud, I also think you're wrong. I could have my computer plugged into a stereo directly and use the keyspan remote. A firewall would only block network traffic, hence I interpret this to be a network based remote having problems, and thus 802.11x, not through the USB dongle from Keyspan, which would work regardless of a firewall.

So can we agree to disagree and you not shout?

1. Keyspan Express makes an infared request to Keyspan device plugged in to AE via USB.

2. AE then sends a network request to iTunes computer play/stop/next/volume

3. Mac built-in firewall, or other device blocks the port request to iTunes.

4. Therefore, Keyspan thru an AE can be affected by a misconfigured firewall.

hence, the iTunes warning.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
adzoox said:
Salling Clicker implemented a new feature in the last release for smart phones and enhanced phones - like my Sony Ericsson s710a

Instead of the awkward controls being pushed to the phone - now ..an actual visual representation of the remote appears on the screen.

You can view playlists, currently playing songs and search by title, artist, genre, etc

Now If someone could tell me how to figure out which phones have that feature, and are supported by my cell phone company... I'm litterally weeks away from getting a new cell phone. I just need my pay check...

haganah

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
So, theoretically, the remote would control songs on itunes?

And it would interact with the airport and not with the computer/itunes program?

Crunchy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2004
Kansas
haganah said:
So, theoretically, the remote would control songs on itunes?

Yes.

haganah said:
And it would interact with the airport and not with the computer/itunes program?

I expect it to be wireless. If that means Bluetooth, Airport, or something else, fine. I'm happy to pay Apple to work that out.

haganah

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
Crunchy said:
Yes.

I expect it to be wireless. If that means Bluetooth, Airport, or something else, fine. I'm happy to pay Apple to work that out.

I'm not understanding. So the remote works with the airport base station or the airport card?

Crunchy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2004
Kansas
haganah said:
I'm not understanding. So the remote works with the airport base station or the airport card?

Either would be fine with me. In the latter case, I'd have to wire my computer to speakers. In the former case, I wouldn't. But in either case the remote lets me browse playlists, play, pause, etc.

Do you think it makes a serious difference which way it should work?

In any case this is just wishful thinking on my part. The currently available remotes are failures because they don't provide a robust way to browse collections remotely. Just being able to pause isn't good enough, particularly when the computer with the playlist may be across the house.

haganah

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
Crunchy said:
Either would be fine with me. In the latter case, I'd have to wire my computer to speakers. In the former case, I wouldn't. But in either case the remote lets me browse playlists, play, pause, etc.

Do you think it makes a serious difference which way it should work?

In any case this is just wishful thinking on my part. The currently available remotes are failures because they don't provide a robust way to browse collections remotely. Just being able to pause isn't good enough, particularly when the computer with the playlist may be across the house.

The remote connects to the airport express which then connects to the mac. Why not just have the remote connect to the mac and skip the airport express/base?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Crunchy said:

It should work with both as a wireless network device.

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
haganah said:
The remote connects to the airport express which then connects to the mac. Why not just have the remote connect to the mac and skip the airport express/base?

Assuming a limited range for the remote (especially if it's infrared) and a Mac in a separate room from the speakers, the thinking is that the Airport Express will be physically closer to the person with the remote (since it's closer to the speakers) than the Mac would be.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You're joking, right?

haganah said:
Crunchy said:

You guys have to be kidding. Can you still not get it, or are you just trying to rile me up?

The existing device, made by Keyspan, the Express Remote, does just this. It is wireless. Infrared, to be exact.

You plug the Keyspan Express Remote's base/receiver into the AirPort Express USB port. *NOT* into the Mac.† Into the AirPort Express itself. (Where you can also plug in a printer to do printer sharing.) Then, you start up iTunes on your computer. (Mac, PC, whatever. Any Mac, any PC, with iTunes 4.6 or higher.) Then, using the 'AirTunes' feature, you select your AirPort Express base station as where you want your music to come out. Now, what you've got going on is that your computer is now sending the iTunes sound wirelessly to the AirPort Express base station, through the AirPort Express base station's audio-out jack, into your stereo system. What the Keyspan Express Remote does, is send CONTROL signals back to the controlling copy of iTunes. Say you start by having it control iTunes on your Mac. So if you close iTunes on your Mac, open it on a PC, and use AirTunes to select your AirPort Express base station, the Keyspan remote will now control the PC.

This already exists. This is available now. This has to go through a firewall, so this could easily generate the message this thread is referring to. No new Apple-designed remote necessary, as there is already a non-Apple-designed solution. (Hey, look at all the non-Apple-designed iPod add-ons... They leave plenty to third-party designers. The iPod has audio recording capability, there are third-party microphones available, does the existence of this capability mean Apple will product their own Apple-branded microphone? No.)

† Yes, the Keyspan Express Remote also works plugged directly into a Mac, but that is 100% separate from what I'm talking about here. Ignore that functionality for now.

shemp9999

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
i was set to respond in detail, but it looks like this thread is exhausted. :rolleyes:

thanks ehurtley, my keyspan express remote's been working great for months - and nice use of footnoting. :D

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
ehurtley said:
You guys have to be kidding. Can you still not get it, or are you just trying to rile me up?

The existing device, made by Keyspan, the Express Remote, does just this. It is wireless. Infrared, to be exact.

You plug the Keyspan Express Remote's base/receiver into the AirPort Express USB port. *NOT* into the Mac.† Into the AirPort Express itself. (Where you can also plug in a printer to do printer sharing.) Then, you start up iTunes on your computer. (Mac, PC, whatever. Any Mac, any PC, with iTunes 4.6 or higher.) Then, using the 'AirTunes' feature, you select your AirPort Express base station as where you want your music to come out. Now, what you've got going on is that your computer is now sending the iTunes sound wirelessly to the AirPort Express base station, through the AirPort Express base station's audio-out jack, into your stereo system. What the Keyspan Express Remote does, is send CONTROL signals back to the controlling copy of iTunes. Say you start by having it control iTunes on your Mac. So if you close iTunes on your Mac, open it on a PC, and use AirTunes to select your AirPort Express base station, the Keyspan remote will now control the PC.

This already exists. This is available now. This has to go through a firewall, so this could easily generate the message this thread is referring to. No new Apple-designed remote necessary, as there is already a non-Apple-designed solution. (Hey, look at all the non-Apple-designed iPod add-ons... They leave plenty to third-party designers. The iPod has audio recording capability, there are third-party microphones available, does the existence of this capability mean Apple will product their own Apple-branded microphone? No.)

† Yes, the Keyspan Express Remote also works plugged directly into a Mac, but that is 100% separate from what I'm talking about here. Ignore that functionality for now.

You have to be kidding do YOU understand? I have 14000 songs in my iTunes! A little Keyspan remote that skips from song to song is not going to get it for me! If you have 20 songs to choose from in your wimpy little collection than maybe it works for you, but I need to see whats in my collection and pick from it. The reason I have all my songs in my iTunes is so I dont have to look at all my cds. I would be better off looking at the covers to find out what I want to play next rather than fumble around with a less than helpful remote for 34 dollars!!! I need some kind of screen that displays all my songs or play lists to work with. I think thats what everyone here is talking about so think before you speak for everyone else. If all you need is a crappy little remote than fine use it and go on your way!

shemp9999

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
izzle22 said:
You have to be kidding do YOU understand? I have 14000 songs in my iTunes! A little Keyspan remote that skips from song to song is not going to get it for me! If you have 20 songs to choose from in your wimpy little collection than maybe it works for you, but I need to see whats in my collection and pick from it. The reason I have all my songs in my iTunes is so I dont have to look at all my cds. I would be better off looking at the covers to find out what I want to play next rather than fumble around with a less than helpful remote for 34 dollars!!! I need some kind of screen that displays all my songs or play lists to work with. I think thats what everyone here is talking about so think before you speak for everyone else. If all you need is a crappy little remote than fine use it and go on your way!

hopefully someone makes the LCD remote of our dreams someday, but isn't this thread about a dialog box and whether or not an airtunes remote already exists?

sometimes the de facto shuffle mode or pre-ordering via playlists on the G5 is too tedious when using the existing keyspan option and i'd love a heads-up display, but then i use my iBook. still, i feel your pain and share your desire - for my library is large as well.

houttbe

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Brussels, Belgium
Sonos remote

If Apple could offer a remote control for iTunes (later on also for images/video) like the one from Sonos they would wipe the floor!

Attachments

• lg_ctrl_1.jpg
    lg_ctrl_1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 112

Crunchy

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2004
Kansas
ehurtley said:

I know what the Keyspan remote is, and I know that this rumor doesn't foretell a better remote in the near future. You may stop reading this thread if it's bothering you that we're still talking about remotes. If someone would like to start a new thread, that would be fine.

I think this would be a great project for Apple to take on. `This' meaning producing a LCD remote with serious browsing capabilities, not just start-stop-pause. I thought that when they announced the Airport Express, that this would be forthcoming in a few days. I expect that Apple still has something up their sleeve on this, and that it's likely tied to video as well as audio. I couldn't care less about the video part, but it will probably drive sales.

Apple is probably waiting for the market to be right for this product. Is this what it did with the iPod? I'm not sure, but that sure worked fine. Release a great product too early (i.e. the Newton) and it won't fly. Since Apple is putting so much comporate weight into digital media, they want to get this one just right. An LCD remote is just part of the strategy, but it's an important part of any legitimate "digital media hub" solution, methinks.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
houttbe said:
If Apple could offer a remote control for iTunes (later on also for images/video) like the one from Sonos they would wipe the floor!

What I don't understand is how Sonos got the scroll-wheel on the remote without violating Apple's patents. But yeah, it's a kick-ass remote. It's a little pricey for mass consumption. It'd have to do a lot more than just control music for $399.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
The Sonos one is cool, but looks bulky and expensive and HARD on batteries. I like the Bose Personal Music System II remote. It gives you all the playlist information you need and works on RF. It looks smaller and sleek. It is designed to control an entire music system and playlists so one for iTunes could be simpler.

Attachments

• rc-48.jpg
    rc-48.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 399
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.