Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
After 20 years of buying only IBM PCs I recently bought an iMac and I'm very happy. I could go on and on about how happy I am, but let's just accept this as an established fact. Indeed I have a PowerBook arriving this week.

However, I'm on a steep learning curve with some of the cute Apple things. And one thing I would love to do is get wireless speakers working through my Airport Express. I may and probably am looking in the wrong place and would appreciate advice.

:confused: . Are there Airport Express compatible speakers one can buy? If so where? From whom?

:confused: . Is there an Airport Express adapter I can buy for my speakers?

:confused: . In other words, in the real world, how do I get the basic information I need to make choices and make it work?

TIA for your help.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Any speakers that accept have an 'Audio In' jack to them or their amp should work without problems. I've tried mine with an old set of PC speakers that I had lying around and currently have it hooked into an 8 year old stereo system.

No special equipment needed aside from a cable to go from the audio out jack on the Express to the audio in on the speakers.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Actually, there are no airport speakers.

An airport express (AE) thingy has - as Applespider mentioned - an audio out jack. Just like the ones that are used for stereo headphones (for like casette walkmans - and iPods :p ).

You can connect the AE to some powered speakers (like most ppl use on their desk) or use any other device (home stereo soundsystem) to listen to the music.

Hope this helped.
Cheers

msjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Thank you both

I just plugged in my Airport Express when it arrived. It worked out of the box and I hadn't paid any attention to the USB and Audio out points on the bottom of it. Many thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.