Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
I sent my 15" PB to service because of the horizontal lines issue. They replaced the LCD screen, and yes, the lines are still there, but fainter. Now it seems though as my Airport won't work. What could be wrong?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Nereus said:
I sent my 15" PB to service because of the horizontal lines issue. They replaced the LCD screen, and yes, the lines are still there, but fainter. Now it seems though as my Airport won't work. What could be wrong?
Without knowing more about your situation, I would suggest that you re-setup your airport from your PB15 using the utility.

Of course you will need to know the original settings for your ISP before you try this.

Sushi

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
sushi said:
Without knowing more about your situation, I would suggest that you re-setup your airport from your PB15 using the utility.

Of course you will need to know the original settings for your ISP before you try this.

Sushi

How do I re-setup it? The problem seems to be that it can't find any networks anymore. The reception is zero.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Perhaps you should try removing the file com.apple.airport.preferences.plist from the folder you find it in. Perhaps some of the preferences are corrupt.

Also, I'd check to make sure the antenna is plugged in correctly. :)

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
mad jew said:
Perhaps you should try removing the file com.apple.airport.preferences.plist from the folder you find it in. Perhaps some of the preferences are corrupt.

Also, I'd check to make sure the antenna is plugged in correctly. :)

Thanks! How do I check that the antenna is plugged in correctly?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nereus said:
Thanks! How do I check that the antenna is plugged in correctly?

Well, I think this applies. It's for earlier PowerBooks but hopefully it's still the same. I haven't played with a newer PowerBook to be able to check this ( :eek: ). They're instructions on how to install an AirPort card but ti's pretty easy to use them to work out if your is installed correctly, hopefully. :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Nereus said:
How do I re-setup it? The problem seems to be that it can't find any networks anymore. The reception is zero.
After you remove the preferences per MJ's suggestion, and check all your connections and it still doesn't work, then reset your Airport to it's original settings.

After you reset your Airport, then use the utility Airport Setup Assistant in your UTILITIES folder under your APPLICATIONS folder.

They should be able to find each other then.

Sushi

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
mad jew said:
Well, I think this applies. It's for earlier PowerBooks but hopefully it's still the same. I haven't played with a newer PowerBook to be able to check this ( :eek: ). They're instructions on how to install an AirPort card but ti's pretty easy to use them to work out if your is installed correctly, hopefully. :)

Thank you very much! Is it normal that they pull the antenna cable when replacing the LCD?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Nereus said:
Thank you very much! Is it normal that they pull the antenna cable when replacing the LCD?

Well, no, but it's a pretty tight fit in there so it seems feasible.

Oh, and do you have an AirPort base station? I'm assuming you cannot connect to any wireless networks, right?

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
mad jew said:
Well, no, but it's a pretty tight fit in there so it seems feasible.

Oh, and do you have an AirPort base station? I'm assuming you cannot connect to any wireless networks, right?

That's correct - I can't connect to any wireless networks. I've tried to connect to my neighbours, but I don't get any reception - it won't respond, regardless how close I am to the base station.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's what I thought. AFAIK, sushi's advice was referring to repairing the AirPort base station but I think this is a PowerBook issue. I could be wrong, as usual. :eek:

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
mad jew said:
That's what I thought. AFAIK, sushi's advice was referring to repairing the AirPort base station but I think this is a PowerBook issue. I could be wrong, as usual. :eek:

I'll check out the cable to see if it's connected or not. Thanks for the help!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
No problem, hopefully it's something simple.

Have you removed the preference file though? I'd do that first because it's a pretty harmless troubleshooting technique that is generally quite effective. :)

Remember to keep the file so that if it doesn't fix anything, you can put it back where you found it to keep your old settings. :)

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
mad jew said:
No problem, hopefully it's something simple.

Have you deleted the preference file though? I'd do that first because it's a pretty harmless troubleshooting technique that is generally quite effective. :)

Yeah I tried that, but nothing happened. Should I restart the computer after I deleted the preference file or should it work anyway?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I was worried that'd be the case. I reckon you're best bet might be to take it back to Apple quickly if it's not too much trouble for you. They should be very good about fixing it considering it stopped working under their watch. Sorry I can't be more helpful. :eek:

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
mad jew said:
I was worried that'd be the case. I reckon you're best bet might be to take it back to Apple quickly if it's not too much trouble for you. They should be very good about fixing it considering it stopped working under their watch. Sorry I can't be more helpful. :eek:

No, I guess I'll have to call them on Monday again. Thanks anyway for the help mad jew...

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Nereus said:
I pulled out the battery but there is no AirPort "door" as described in the document. What should I do now? :confused:

On the Aluminium powerbooks the airport card is not user replacable part. It sounds like the antenna cable is not connected as other posters have said. This is a 10-15 minute fix and your local Apple store will probably do it as you wait.

To answer your earlier question, according to the apple service manual disconnecting the airport antenna is a required step when replacing a display since the airport antenna cable crosses over the top of the main display data cable.

Nereus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
mrichmon said:
On the Aluminium powerbooks the airport card is not user replacable part. It sounds like the antenna cable is not connected as other posters have said. This is a 10-15 minute fix and your local Apple store will probably do it as you wait.

To answer your earlier question, according to the apple service manual disconnecting the airport antenna is a required step when replacing a display since the airport antenna cable crosses over the top of the main display data cable.

Thanks mrichmon! I'll call Apple right away on Monday to have it fixed. :)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It looks like MJ and Mr. M gave you some great tips.

MJ was correct, I was thinking the airport side of things. But it now looks like the PB side of things.

Agree with the others, get it to Apple to be fixed. That way you'll be sure the problem is corrected.

MJ and Mr. M, great job! :D

Oh, and after you get your PB fixed, you may still have problems connecting to your Airport. In that case delete the preference file first. If that doesn't work, then I would reset the Airport and then use the Airport Setup utility to set up the Airport. Just be sure that you have your ISP data handy before you do this.

Please let us know how it work out.

Good luck!

Sushi

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
As i recall the antenna is in the monitor so they probably unplugged it when replacing the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.