Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreatMightySymp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
For the last month or two I've been running into an issue where my AirPort Time Capsule (latest model) keeps requesting to create a new backup after a week or two.

To give some info about the device, it's essentially a brand-new device as I just got it back around September. It's set in wired mode, as I have wireless outputted via an existing Airport Extreme, so it's just being used as a ethernet switch hub essentially right now (and for backups of course). Since my iMac and MacBook Pro are encrypted, I have backups set to be encrypted as well if that changes things at all.

I do notice if I check AirPort Utility that after a day or two it will not show up in there (i.e. it does the "can't find it in your network, do you want to remove it"), but I can still backup to it until this issue occurs again.

I can't recall if this happened before or after the Sierra update (on the latest version, 10.12.1), though. So it may have possibly been due to that but I'm not 100%.

YatBob

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana
I was having this same issue where every few days it was telling me I needed to create a new backup, spoke with Apple support and was told to run first aid on the Macintosh HD, did that and so far no more issues, he told me this seems to be happening more with Sierra

GreatMightySymp

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2013
I was having this same issue where every few days it was telling me I needed to create a new backup, spoke with Apple support and was told to run first aid on the Macintosh HD, did that and so far no more issues, he told me this seems to be happening more with Sierra

I didn't find anything while running it while booted into my account, by any chance did you run it while booted into the CMD+R mode during boot up? IIRC that does a slightly different check when I had to do it on another machine at my workplace before.

YatBob

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2014
Louisiana
I first did it when booted into my account using disk utility, a couple days later it failed, talked to another support person who walked me through doing it using the CMD+R mode and that worked for a few days and again it failed, what I don't understand is that I am also backing up my MBP to the same time capsule and I have not had any issues, I also back up my iMac to a USB3.0 drive and no issues it just when backing up my iMac to the TC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.