Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Hello all, I'm having a problem with my wireless internet, I'v been using my powerbook and windows machine with a wireless router for over a year now. I decided to recently add a WEP key to the router, after entering the WEP key into both machines, the windows machine has been running without trouble at all, my powerbook seems weird, it connects to the router, but not to the internet, sometimes, it's like it has a mind of its own and decides to connect to the internet, as soon as it goes to sleep, right after I open it again, same problem....what's up with that?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Jericho2550 said:
Hello all, I'm having a problem with my wireless internet, I'v been using my powerbook and windows machine with a wireless router for over a year now. I decided to recently add a WEP key to the router, after entering the WEP key into both machines, the windows machine has been running without trouble at all, my powerbook seems weird, it connects to the router, but not to the internet, sometimes, it's like it has a mind of its own and decides to connect to the internet, as soon as it goes to sleep, right after I open it again, same problem....what's up with that?

Hey:

make sure that when you insert the password in your PowerBook to the wireless network, that you try the various drop-down menus, such as 48-bit bin hex.

I also am using a third party 802.11g router. Tell us how it goes.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You don't say what kind of router you're using, but I presume it's not an AirPort Base Station.

Unfortunately, the method for encoding WEP keys isn't standardized, so even though you input the same password on both the Mac and Windows machines, the router isn't seeing them as the same. Probably this is what's happening to you. If you were running a AirPort Base Station, you could get the hex WEP key from the AirPort Admin Utility. Don't know how you do it with a non-Apple product, though. Check the documentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.