Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junkman23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
hey all, i'm having some problems with my airport extreme network and wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

basically my wireless keeps going out, but in a slow progression, so then i replug in the airport and it starts all over again.

i've tried resetting the airport extreme base station but it does nothing.

i have noticed that when i have no internet the middle and right lights are flashing. so that's why i think its the wirless side of things.

anyone know what i can do to fix it, or should i just get a new router?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
When the LEDs are flashing, it can mean the Airport Extreme is restarting itself. Download and install the latest firmware update from the Apple website in case it's a software bug. Otherwise it could be a power supply issue.

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
question about airport

Hi Guys!
I'm a mac OS newbie and I'm used to Windows. I have some troubles understanding how wireless connection works in mac os. How do I see the networks in my range like I did in microsofts OS? secpnd question: what's the simbol left of the bluetooth one? when I click on it it gives me 4 options:
VPN: Idle
Connect
VPN is not cofigured
Open internet connect

any help would be apreciated!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 69

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Erasmus®;3117872 said:
Hi Guys!
I'm a mac OS newbie and I'm used to Windows. I have some troubles understanding how wireless connection works in mac os. How do I see the networks in my range like I did in microsofts OS?

The symbol to the right of BlueTooth is the Airport (Wi-Fi) connection icon. Clicking on that should give you a list of all Wi-Fi networks in your vicinity that are broadcasting their SSID (network name). Selecting one of them will either join your Mac to it, or prompt you for a WEP/WPA key if one is required.

secpnd question: what's the simbol left of the bluetooth one? when I click on it it gives me 4 options:
It is the VPN menu bar icon. If you don't use VPN you can turn it off by deselecting the "Show VPN in Menu Bar" tick box in Internet Connect.

Erasmus®

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2006
The symbol to the right of BlueTooth is the Airport (Wi-Fi) connection icon. Clicking on that should give you a list of all Wi-Fi networks in your vicinity that are broadcasting their SSID (network name). Selecting one of them will either join your Mac to it, or prompt you for a WEP/WPA key if one is required.

First: thanks a lot for answering and helping. When I click the AirPort Symbol on my Finder I receive different options:

Turn AirPort on/off
no network selected, other
create network
use interface robustness (selected)
open internet connect

I can't see any network name, while my old windows based laptop shows some. I can't immagine my new mbp dosen't capture something my old laptop does so I immagine I do something wrong. Any suggestion?

It is the VPN menu bar icon. If you don't use VPN you can turn it off by deselecting the "Show VPN in Menu Bar" tick box in Internet Connect.

Right, I turned it off, thanks a lot. Ehm.. what esactly was the VPN? Please be patient I'm abolutely new to this OS but I like it a lot! thanks again!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Erasmus®;3118190 said:
I can't see any network name, while my old windows based laptop shows some. I can't imagine my new mbp doesn't capture something my old laptop does so I imagine I do something wrong. Any suggestion?
I can only think that the Windows laptop was picking up networks it had previously been joined to, but that don't broadcast their SSIDs (their names, as it were). If you remember the name of the network you want to join, type it into the System Preferences>>Network>>Airport - Configure>>Airport panel and if it is available within range, you will be prompted to enter the WEP/WPA key (the network's password in effect). From that point on, the MBP should find the network every time just like the Windows machine did.

Right, I turned it off, thanks a lot. Ehm.. what esactly was the VPN? Please be patient I'm abolutely new to this OS but I like it a lot! thanks again!
You probably didn't have a VPN configured, but whilst you are looking at the options in Internet Connect just selecting the VPN panel will make that icon appear. A VPN is an encrypted "tunnel" across the Internet, so that you can communicate with another computer anywhere in the world without anyone being able to listen in to what the two computers are transmitting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.