Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Apple issue fix for the WPA2 KRACK exploit?

• Yes, Apple will do the right thing

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • No, Apple is done with home networking devices

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Siri will let us know if she detects someone hacking our WiFi

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

gmanWA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
I guess that is the $64K question. With the Airport teams scattered to the wind, will Apple issue a fix for the latest exploit or will we all be taking our Airports to the nearest recycling center?

(To add to the wishlist, since Airplay2 is apparently just a software change, it would be really great if Apple did the right thing and offered this update for the untold number of Airport Express devices powering our various speakers.)

Severe flaw in WPA2 ...

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple still sells various Airport models for £100-£400 online and at their stores.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/mac/mac-accessories/networking

It's probably the world's most expensive non-professional wifi access point, damn right Apple should be updating it to address any issues that crop up.

I'm actually curious about this; people keep saying Airport is vintage/obsolete yet Apple is still selling them with no signs of stopping.

Is there actually any real meat to the information that they're being discontinued? I'm actually thinking of upgrading to the newest revision of the Extreme since my older Airport Time Capsule (with a failed drive in it) is long in the tooth.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Not by a long shot.

"Most expensive and least capable," perhaps? :p

Is there actually any real meat to the information that they're being discontinued? I'm actually thinking of upgrading to the newest revision of the Extreme since my older Airport Time Capsule (with a failed drive in it) is long in the tooth.

TBH, after I actually researched my earlier statement, I didn't see any hard evidence of the product line being on the chopping block. Next time I'll Google it before I type it, haha.

Reactions: belvdr

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
"Most expensive and least capable," perhaps? :p

TBH, after I actually researched my earlier statement, I didn't see any hard evidence of the product line being on the chopping block. Next time I'll Google it before I type it, haha.

The other thing I realized is that the Airport Extreme still supports the latest standards. Even though it's a few years old, there hasn't been much movement in WiFi tech since then; 802.11ac is still the best you can get.

I just wish they had refurbs available as I don't want to pay full price. :)

Reactions: supermars

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
This is a little more than a standard software update or adding a new feature. This is an important security patch that needs to be addressed so I would say it will be very interesting how this plays out for Apple.

Reactions: supermars

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
>>>I just wish they had refurbs available as I don't want to pay full price.

Me neither. Google "store.apple.com refurbished airport extreme" and see if they have them. I just checked last week for an Express, and it was available, though not right at this moment.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read, the vulnerability can be mitigated by a patch from the client, so the routers don't have to be patched (of course, ideally both sides should be patched). Correct me if I'm wrong though.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
I took it from “
When did you first notify vendors about the vulnerability?
We sent out notifications to vendors whose products we tested ourselves around 14 July 2017. ”

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
>>>I just wish they had refurbs available as I don't want to pay full price.

Me neither. Google "store.apple.com refurbished airport extreme" and see if they have them. I just checked last week for an Express, and it was available, though not right at this moment.
Best Buy and Staples run sales on the Airport Extreme from time to time. I bought mine at Best Buy for $30 off a while back.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Apple has told iMore that Airports are not vulnerable to the client attack, and apparently that is because Apple never implemented the protocol properly. Whether this holds up should you have multiple Airports configured throughout your home to improve wireless reception, I am not sure.

If the clients such as iOS and Mac are vulnerable to some form of Krack attack despite implementation errors, then I imagine any Airports acting as clients too maybe vulnerable.

Gueeds

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I was debating selling my AirPort Extreme when the rumor started of the team being reassigned.

If they don't issue a fix for the router, I'm getting an Amplifi.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple has told iMore that Airports are not vulnerable to the client attack, and apparently that is because Apple never implemented the protocol properly. Whether this holds up should you have multiple Airports configured throughout your home to improve wireless reception, I am not sure.
Older Android devices are not vulnerable for exactly that reason. With hindsight, the more complicated parts of the protocol should have never been implemented by anyone.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
The other thing I realized is that the Airport Extreme still supports the latest standards. Even though it's a few years old, there hasn't been much movement in WiFi tech since then; 802.11ac is still the best you can get.

I just wish they had refurbs available as I don't want to pay full price. :)

Some are available refurbished now and then. It just takes some persistence checking the Apple online store.
[doublepost=1508812449][/doublepost]
I was debating selling my AirPort Extreme when the rumor started of the team being reassigned.

If they don't issue a fix for the router, I'm getting an Amplifi.

And that's all there is to it. A rumour. For all we know, the teams were pulled to work on something very important, until they are re- reassigned.... back to the Airport (or whatever HomeKit wonder device Apple plans to replace it with).

gmanWA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
I am holding out hope that with the firmware update for the routers yesterday there is a better than 50/50 chance they will issue another update upgrading all the Airport Express devices to Airplay2 when the Homepod is released. I think it makes sense for Apple as it gives them instant marketshare with Airplay2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.