Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
No. Rechargeable just don't have the life. My suitcase was gone for a month. Would the rechargeable battery have lasted that long? Stick with commercially available batteries. Smaller batteries. They don't need to last 2 years.
The Apple TV remote is rechargeable. I've charged it once since buying it over a year ago. A rechargeable tag could last as long as or even outlast a coin cell. It's just sending out pings which is why it lasts so long. You're somehow associating a rechargeable battery to what you have to do with your phone or watch that you have to charge every night. Rechargeables with low energy requirements can and do hold power for a very long time.

Apple likely used a coin cell to keep the cost down in the first generation of an unproven device. An economy of scale will enable the COG to come down in the next generation, which will help make it thinner and use more complex circuitries and components for the same or lower cost than the previous gen. Everything Apple has made has followed this model.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Tamper resistant design. If the speaker is removed, AirTag doesn't work. Given Apple is privacy focused, they're likely to close some of the current loopholes.

Tin Cook

Suspended
May 11, 2023
When will there be some new AirTags? What will change?

There isn't a U2 chip yet.

What do you think?

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
A credit card-shaped one, similar to what Tile did, would be great.

Tin Cook

Suspended
May 11, 2023
A credit card-shaped one, similar to what Tile did, would be great.
It would. You can buy some accessories to make it fit, but the bump is annoying. I would like to have precision finding work from longer distances, like 60 or more feet.

Tin Cook

Suspended
May 11, 2023
It would be nice to be able to connect the same AirTag to multiple accounts. I was surprised you can't do this.
Even just having a whitelist for certain AirTags. Maybe one is driving their spouses car and using their key. You don't need a notification for that!

alan698

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2023
How soon do you expect an AirTag 2.0 release?

What features would you like added? I'll start with a louder alert tone.

Do you expect the line to expand into various form factors similar to Tile's approach?
Probably would be nice to opt out of specific airtags using your iPhone's location, or opt out of the program all together considering the tracking issues.

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
An Airtag compatible with an Apple Watch charger, altimeter support, and slimmer design would be nice.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Tamper resistant design. If the speaker is removed, AirTag doesn't work. Given Apple is privacy focused, they're likely to close some of the current loopholes.

Apple is only privacy focused as an excuse for their generally poor services

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.