Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SlipSlidinAwa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Fort William, Scotland, UK
Are Apple AirTags approved by IATA for airline travel, cabin baggage tracking and hold baggage tracking. Until recently airlines/airport security would not allow electronic baggage tags in the hold citing that batteries as not being allowed in hold baggage.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
....this will be an interesting article. From what I read in the IATA guidance batteries that have less than 0.3g of lithium are allowed. From what I read CR2032 batteries have approx 0.1g

SlipSlidinAwa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Fort William, Scotland, UK
....this will be an interesting article. From what I read in the IATA guidance batteries that have less than 0.3g of lithium are allowed. From what I read CR2032 batteries have approx 0.1g

That makes sense as most car keys and trackers use CR2032 batteries and no one objects to them. If they can be used in the hold. Need to stay with Thule fabric luggage so they can be detected in baggage collection. Not aluminium stuff for poseurs !!!

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Thread 'AirTags and flying'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airtags-and-flying.2292664/

Seems that some carriers may not allow them under current rules
Wow, read through all the posts on the other thread. Interesting discussion for sure. I'm actually an aircraft engineer and have been working with airlines for over 20 years, I doubt anyone would even find it in your luggage. I dont believe these batteries pose any kind of fire threat. However now that apple has turned them "main stream" we shall see what comes of it.

Reactions: SlipSlidinAwa

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Until recently airlines/airport security would not allow electronic baggage tags in the hold citing that batteries as not being allowed in hold baggage.

It is false that batteries are not allowed in hold baggage. Provided the battery is installed in a consumer electronics device (and not just a loose spare battery), then it is fine up to 100 Wh capacity.

As for tracking devices in checked baggage, the IATA guidance states:

“Smart luggage” may contain small lithium cells or batteries with no more than 0.3 g of lithium metal or a Watt-hour
rating not exceeding 2.7 Wh that power items such as scales, locks or tracking devices. Any tracking device with a transmitting function must automatically shut down when inside the aircraft."

Reactions: SlipSlidinAwa

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
It is false that batteries are not allowed in hold baggage. Provided the battery is installed in a consumer electronics device (and not just a loose spare battery), then it is fine up to 100 Wh capacity.

As for tracking devices in checked baggage, the IATA guidance states:

“Smart luggage” may contain small lithium cells or batteries with no more than 0.3 g of lithium metal or a Watt-hour
rating not exceeding 2.7 Wh that power items such as scales, locks or tracking devices. Any tracking device with a transmitting function must automatically shut down when inside the aircraft."
You highlight a point that I was raising on the other thread in that people are focusing on the battery aspect but it’s actually the transmission aspect that could cause a problem …. at various airports across the globe baggage (cabin/hold) is screened to varying standards (the varying part is often human) ….. in a stringent country is it possible that an airtag that happens to be bleeping or searching for a phone could trigger something in the screening process ? I dont know the answer but perhaps the IATA policy indicates Airtags may not be allowed ….. whether they are detected or specifically banned is another matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.