Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
As the title says. I have 4 AirTags, 3 of those bought in a package together but it does not really matter which AirTag, they always show the red warning within a month (In the Find My App) and they hardly move (besides the one on my keychain). Anyone else? I already tried a different pack of batteries and no difference. In fact, a couple of times, they refused to even connect to my iPhone / Find My App because the App claimed, the battery is too low, even though I just put a fresh battery inside. In those instances, I had to remove the back of the AirTag, press the battery against the airtag while connecting them to the App and then quickly put the back plate back on it and only then would say stay connected

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Sounds like hardware issue, for sure you should reach Apple if battery depletes in that short time.

I replaced battery after over a year.
Zigbee sensors I have at home (other protocol) also lasts 1-2 years on the same IKEA 3V 2032 battery

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Wow that's not normal at all. I just had to replace the batteries on my AirTags after over a year. Did you make sure the batteries you bought didn't have a child safe coating on them? I've heard that can cause problems.

Other than that perhaps you got a bad batch batch of AirTags? I usually ping mine at least once a day so it's not like I don't use them. The crazy thing is the battery on the one that I rarely ping died first.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Either a bad batch or it's environmental. You aren't next to a transformer station or under overhead power lines?

(had a customer at IBM back in the early 90's that had a number of components replaced, but a transformer station was literally on the other side of the wall of his war-time era home) The vertical hold of his TV was always off, yet he thought the computer monitor shouldn't be? *shrug* Suggested he move...also to preserve his health. :)

• Wow
Reactions: addamas

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Just replaced mine after one year and a couple of months. Got a pack of 4 and got the low battery alert for all 4 last month

Elmo1938

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
NYC
I was surprised to get a low battery warning. so I decided to change all the batteries: backpack+3canes.

contacos

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Just had to replace them again since making the post. Low battery warning on two of them, but not on the 3rd. Very strange. I wonder if something is pinging them too often because I also have "Find My" running over night according to my iPhone battery stats

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
have you tried removing them, and re-adding them to your account?

my keys lasted about 13 months, backpack was maybe 14 or 15.

The other 2 were added later, and still going on the original battery.

a reset of the tag while you're unpaired probably wouldn't hurt

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've gotten a year out of the batteries in mine. I have 5 on various items and on all of them they lasted about 12 months.

Make sure the battery replacements aren't bitterant coated. Those won't work correctly.

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
As the title says. I have 4 AirTags, 3 of those bought in a package together but it does not really matter which AirTag, they always show the red warning within a month (In the Find My App) and they hardly move (besides the one on my keychain). Anyone else? I already tried a different pack of batteries and no difference. In fact, a couple of times, they refused to even connect to my iPhone / Find My App because the App claimed, the battery is too low, even though I just put a fresh battery inside. In those instances, I had to remove the back of the AirTag, press the battery against the airtag while connecting them to the App and then quickly put the back plate back on it and only then would say stay connected
Mine have lasted over a year. You have something not right or a hardware issue.

macbookm1airlover

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2021
I have "launch day" AirTags...just had to replace the battery last week...as @Alex Cai (above) has said...ensure the batteries that you have do not have bitterant in them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.