Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janosch1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2016
So - the IKEA ROTHULT smart lock could be opened & locked with the two included NFC cards and one additional (yes only one) other compatible NFC device.

what to do?
Just bring the white side of your AirTag close to the open ROTHULT smart lock and it will lock -
Unlocking - just use the same AirTag and.. MAGIC.... it will unlock .

(The included NFC cards will always be able to open & lock the ROTHULT - as before)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Sigh. They don’t work with Samsung locks unfortunately. The NFC mode only works with Android phones but not AirTag.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
So - the IKEA ROTHULT smart lock could be opened & locked with the two included NFC cards and one additional (yes only one) other compatible NFC device.

View attachment 1771522

what to do?
Just bring the white side of your AirTag close to the open ROTHULT smart lock and it will lock -
Unlocking - just use the same AirTag and.. MAGIC.... it will unlock .

(The included NFC cards will always be able to open & lock the ROTHULT - as before)
Interesting!! I know the bluetooth ID on these changes every 15 min or so. Does the NFC ID ever change? If so, this may not work for long.

Reactions: haruhiko

EximiusVir

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
WA
Wanted to follow up on this and hopefully get some of the original posters (likely more knowledgeable than myself) to comment.

I just purchased the ROTHULT smart lock for my cabinet and stumbled across this article after the fact. I saw the video with the AirTag, but unfortunately I get the quick three beeps, but the lock does not lock or unlock.

I realize this post is over a year old, so wondering if something may have changed. I did come across an article from NFC Tag Shop that touched on using other third party NFC tags, but was really hoping to use the same AirTag that’s currently attached to my keys.

Is there anything obvious I’m missing / not considering?

Thanks in advance!

Whigu

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2022
Wanted to follow up on this and hopefully get some of the original posters (likely more knowledgeable than myself) to comment.

I just purchased the ROTHULT smart lock for my cabinet and stumbled across this article after the fact. I saw the video with the AirTag, but unfortunately I get the quick three beeps, but the lock does not lock or unlock.

I realize this post is over a year old, so wondering if something may have changed. I did come across an article from NFC Tag Shop that touched on using other third party NFC tags, but was really hoping to use the same AirTag that’s currently attached to my keys.

Is there anything obvious I’m missing / not considering?

Thanks in advance!
Is it possible to teach NFC tags for that lock? If so then it's possible that OP has just teach his airtag NFC to it and that's why it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.