Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arqtiq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2021
I understand, that Apple has reduced the alert time for AirTags separated from their owners to 8-24 hours. I was planning to use my AirTags for tracking my checked baggage on multi-leg long distance flights. I could well be separated from my bags for more than 8 hours. Therefore, I assume the AirTags would start beeping at some time during the flight or in transit.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? Will the AirTags really start beeping? How loud? How often? Will this be a problem at the airport? I wouldn‘t want my bags to alert airport security.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I don't think you are meant to have batteries of any type in your checked baggage.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I don't think you are meant to have batteries of any type in your checked baggage.
Sorry, you really couldn't be more wrong. I mean. Wow!
Cordless toothbrushes, shavers. Laptops. Tablets. People travel with all kinds of batteries all the time.

The only ban we ever saw on batteries was back when Samsung was having its issues and their phones were banned from flights.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I understand, that Apple has reduced the alert time for AirTags separated from their owners to 8-24 hours. I was planning to use my AirTags for tracking my checked baggage on multi-leg long distance flights. I could well be separated from my bags for more than 8 hours. Therefore, I assume the AirTags would start beeping at some time during the flight or in transit.

Does anyone have experience with this situation? Will the AirTags really start beeping? How loud? How often? Will this be a problem at the airport? I wouldn‘t want my bags to alert airport security.
There was another thread where someone's airtag was stolen by someone in luggage processing. Me, I'd have the airtag inside the bag, not outside. If you do, any "chirps" by the airtag will not alert anyone.

One of the travellers did see that they still had bluetooth connectivity to their AirTags while on the flight - so that may shorten your "separation window".

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Cordless toothbrushes, shavers. Laptops. Tablets. People travel with all kinds of batteries all the time.

The only ban we ever saw on batteries was back when Samsung was having its issues and their phones were banned from flights.

I've just checked on the UK Civil Aviation Authority website and you are absolutely correct.
I must have been the only person not packing any battery in my checked in baggage.

However, sorry but you couldn't be more emphatic. I mean. Wow!

Reactions: dabotsonline

iLoveDeveloping

Suspended
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland

You will be fine, just flown last week with an AirTag in every bag I had (4 - two check in and two carry on). Works perfectly, could check on my bags as they went around the airport and could see them on the plane! They are well within distance of you when they are under the plane. I could see the whole flight the AirTag was “connected”. It won’t beep (unless faulty as a few people have had issues with) unless you are away from it for 8 hours (your phone can’t connect with it), and it is moving. So from what you described there is no issue whatsoever. And if security have an issue with an AirTag, when people start flying more again, they are in for a big shock! ?

Geepaw

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2021

Lithium batteries are not allowed on flights but otherwise you are correct.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Correction: Answered my own question:

I'm guessing this goes back to the Samsung fiasco? (it only takes one malfunctioning battery to cause an emergency) - I presume their take on it is that the fire can be fought in the passenger compartment, before it becomes signficant.

Last edited:

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
what would be the point? What are the chances of any iOS device being nearby and having service to track it successfully? Wouldn't the plane shield any bluetooth (in cargo) connection whatsoever? It is not like the AirTag has GPS (even those would be limited)

arqtiq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2021
what would be the point? What are the chances of any iOS device being nearby and having service to track it successfully? Wouldn't the plane shield any bluetooth (in cargo) connection whatsoever? It is not like the AirTag has GPS (even those would be limited)
Well, I agree that during the flight, there will not be any coverage. But for example, when changing to a connecting flight, it would be kind of reassuring to know, if the bags have made it. The same would be true for the final destination, to know they‘ve made it before they are finally delivered.

Reactions: Tom Schrier

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Heh. People are bored. :). You obviously haven't read any of the threads of people doing this on here. Surprisingly the bluetooth signal is pretty strong on these - people have had connections to their AirTags in the cargo compartment under their feet somewhere. One guy even had one of the baggage handlers steal their airtag (obviously the handler didn't know that their activation locked) *shrug*.

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
I have been doing this internationally and domestically for years with tiles.. they worked well.. I will do the same with airtags once travel hots up again.

I have left airtags at home and gone on trips for weeks, the tags have never beeped.. why would they, they aren’t lost..

edit: It only chirps if away from the phone for an extended period and moved.. not left stationary.. still cant see how this helps anyone if not marked as lost..

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
This is absolutely incorrect. SPARE lithium batteries must be in the passenger compartment but NOT SPARE aka installed lithium batteries may be part of baggage (aka my iPad can be in passenger compartment OR my checked bags as they are not SPARE batteries. Pays to read the fine print.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.