Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Excuse the ignorance, but I've never had a need for an AirTag so never looked into them in the past, but now we are going on holiday I'm thinking of buying a set to place one in each piece of baggage....I know I know, not the intended usage, but seems many use them successfully in this way.

If I do this, won't my iPhone keep constantly pinging to say I've lost, or left the item behind once the baggage is taken in at the airport?

Also won't the AirTag keep beeping once it is away from my phone, alerting security staff who may think its something more serious?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I use them in my luggage, it won't beep unless you press the Play Sound button. They are extremely useful for tracking your luggage and keeping an eye out to see if your luggage is close on the carousel.

I thought they start beeping when away from your phone as part of the anti-stalking feature?…..

So I can safely leave them in baggage where they wont make Any noise?
And if so, will my iPhone keep alerting me that I’ve lost my bags once they are taken in?

Rainman1915

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
I thought they start beeping when away from your phone as part of the anti-stalking feature?…..

And if so, will my iPhone keep alerting me that I’ve lost my bags once they are taken in?
They won't beep until you press the sound button. And yes you can leave them in your luggage. You would have to check the Find My app and under devices to see where your luggage is.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Got it, thank you!

Another question - Can I switch off notifications for AirTags altogether, so I only use then via Find My when I need to?
Other then for baggage with the odd holiday, they will likely stay at home - will I have notifications every time I leave the house to say I've left the AirTag behind?? Or would it be best to remove them from my account altogether when not in use?
For instance, if I attach one to the TV remote, for example, I don't want it to notify me every time I leave the house etc...

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Got it, thank you!

Another question - Can I switch off notifications for AirTags altogether, so I only use then via Find My when I need to?
Other then for baggage with the odd holiday, they will likely stay at home - will I have notifications every time I leave the house to say I've left the AirTag behind?? Or would it be best to remove them from my account altogether when not in use?
For instance, if I attach one to the TV remote, for example, I don't want it to notify me every time I leave the house etc...

each airtag (and also airpods) individually has settings. you can turn off 'notify when left behind' or you can have it on but set exceptions.

So in normal life, i have a tag on my keys and on my wallet, and both are set to 'notify when left behind' with an exception for my apartment. So if i go more than 100m from them i get a notification except when i leave them at home. When i go on holiday, i drop my keyring into a suitcase. ideally i should turn off the notification, but if i forget, it will only ping the first time i am 100m away from the case.

i keep meaning to set the golf course also as an exception as on some holes that are a far walk from the buggy i then get pings, sometimes as im about to putt!

markphil1424

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2015
OH, USA
Got it, thank you!

Yes you can, I do that with some of my devices that I know are left at home.

Reactions: Ifti

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
Seems great if you are in the USA, meanwhile here in the uK.

Under UK regulations, bags with location devices inside are only allowed in the hold if steps have been taken to make sure they don't turn on accidentally and that they are protected enough so they won't be accidentally damaged.

The devices must also be switched off completely, and "not in sleep or hibernation mode".

That final rule means that AirTags and other locating devices are effectively banned from being checked-in on all commercial flights in the UK, as they don't work without being turned on.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Seems great if you are in the USA, meanwhile here in the uK.

Under UK regulations, bags with location devices inside are only allowed in the hold if steps have been taken to make sure they don't turn on accidentally and that they are protected enough so they won't be accidentally damaged.

The devices must also be switched off completely, and "not in sleep or hibernation mode".

That final rule means that AirTags and other locating devices are effectively banned from being checked-in on all commercial flights in the UK, as they don't work without being turned on.

Ah, well, that clears that one up then!

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

Can you post a link to a source for this info? I've looked at the British Airways website and done a brief web search using a search engine and the closest ban I can find is on "Smart Baggage" and on lithium-ion batteries. AirTags don't use lithium-ion batteries (this is why the supposed Lufthansa ban on AirTags turned out to be a false alarm).

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool

If devices are carried in checked baggage measures must be taken to prevent unintentional activation and to protect from damage and the device must be completely switched off (not in sleep or hibernation mode)

Although as pointed out they don’t use Lithium-ION batteries. So if you want a clear answer (good luck) you could ask CCA directly via an email.

Baggage equipped with a lithium battery(ies)

When equipped with a lithium battery(ies) exceeding:
- for lithium metal batteries, a lithium content of 0.3 grams;
or
- for lithium ion batteries, a Watt-hour rating of 2.7 Wh
must be carried as carry-on baggage unless the battery(ies)
is removed from the baggage, protected from short circuit and carried in the cabin.

The small CR2032 lithium battery that powers the tag weighs about 3.0 grams (0.10 ounces), but only contains about 0.109 grams (0.0038 ounces) of lithium, according to Energizer Holdings, a major manufacturer of the CR2032 battery.

Last edited:

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

If devices are carried in checked baggage measures must be taken to prevent unintentional activation and to protect from damage and the device must be completely switched off (not in sleep or hibernation mode)

Although as pointed out they don’t use Lithium-ION batteries. So if you want a clear answer (good luck) you could ask CCA directly via an email.

Baggage equipped with a lithium battery(ies)

When equipped with a lithium battery(ies) exceeding:
- for lithium metal batteries, a lithium content of 0.3 grams;
or
- for lithium ion batteries, a Watt-hour rating of 2.7 Wh
must be carried as carry-on baggage unless the battery(ies)
is removed from the baggage, protected from short circuit and carried in the cabin.

The small CR2032 lithium battery that powers the tag weighs about 3.0 grams (0.10 ounces), but only contains about 0.109 grams (0.0038 ounces) of lithium, according to Energizer Holdings, a major manufacturer of the CR2032 battery.

Obviously, it’s always best to check directly with an airline for the most authoritative answer that applies to one's specific situation.

Having said that, here is a good discussion of the AirTags in checked baggage situation in October 2022 (bottom line: it appears AirTags fell under European regulations for devices with much more powerful batteries and the regulatory agencies were planning to review AirTags’ classification):

Next, here is a Google search that shows British Airways representatives on Twitter in May of this year telling passengers AirTags may be used in checked bags:

So it is possible airlines have decided to not strictly apply the existing regulation while a new regulation is developed. This confusing situation is not good for passengers!

----------
ETA: I think it's kind of weird the person who runs a tech tips YouTube channel didn't do any legwork on this topic...

Last edited:

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
Also won't the AirTag keep beeping once it is away from my phone, alerting security staff who may think its something more serious?
They shouldn't. But even if they do, in an airport, they will never be heard. The beeping os not that loud.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I took a trip with my wife to the Philippines from Seattle in March. We had a AirTag in both my checked luggage and my wife’s luggage I actually never thought of doing it and it was fine no issues by the airline or authorities. Of course I did not ask about nor tell them they were in the luggage

Reactions: macrumr79 and Ifti

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
On a recent trip to Cayman Brac, I watched the Cayman Airways baggage handlers wheel my bag back into the terminal as my flight was leaving. They told us that half the passenger’s bags weren’t going on the plane with us because they had bags from earlier flights that had to go (meaning for weeks, every flight was trying to catch up for earlier flights). Terrible logistics. IMG_0957.jpeg (My bag is the lilac one)

Reaching Grand Cayman, half the flight signed paperwork for Cayman Airlines to FedEx our bags to us. Again, terrible logistics, frustrating for us passengers, and a waste of money for the airline.

Here’s where the AirTag shines. I had an AirTag in the bag, so I could at least know where my bag was. Over the next four days, I could see it on a map at the Cayman Brac terminal, then saw it move to Grand Cayman about 3 hours after I had left. I watched it move around periodically for a couple days there, before it moved to New York.

IMG_0964.jpeg

I could see it moving through FedEx on its way to me. I was the only one in my traveling group with and AirTag in their bag. The others were stressed the crap out wondering where their bag was, and when/if they would get it. Fortunately everyone got their bag within 10 days, but it was nerve wracking. Most of them now have AirTags for their bags. Watching on the map as the FedEx van circled my house for hours before delivering was frustrating and awesome. I love AirTags.

usmanity

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2023
Had a similar situation with my wife's bag, it was stuck in Seattle on our way back to Portland (from an international flight). The airtag clearly showed us the bag was in Seattle and as it moved (we'd check every few hours), it were way less stressed about it since the airtag was on it. Now we have airtags on all our travel luggage!

Reactions: ebika

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Yep, air tags in checked luggage. In addition to that I have one in my carry on and personal bag lol

And they're staying in everything.

Last edited:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The airlines are likely trying to ban airtags precisely because they allow for calling them out on their shenanigans. Starts to become common that airlines claim the luggage to be lost even though you can see it sitting at the airport for weeks.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I know I know, not the intended usage, but seems many use them successfully in this way.
I'm curious, why do you say this is not the intended usage? Isn't the whole point of airtags to keep track of your belongings? I'd say your luggage counts as that.

I believe the only thing Airtags are not intended for is to stalk people, so they have features to try to prevent that. But tracking your luggage isn't stalking anyone. Also I believe the anti-stalking only kicks in when the airtag is moving continuously with one person, not when being transported through public airline terminals and baggage areas.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008

I got one in my Vespa scooter and sometimes when I walk by I can hear it beeping. I wonder how long it has been beeping, days maybe? I didn't move my Vespa but maybe somebody touched it and if I am not close to the Vespa and the AirTag thinks it has been moved it will start to beep.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
I do not fly without an Airtag in my luggage and even my carry on. No issues on 100+ flight legs including overseas flights. I had West jet misdirect 1 checked bag I told them exactly where it was and they were able to get my baby back to me. Not only was I able to tell the baggage claim what airport but wear exactly it was at that airport. Very handy for travelling.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I was just on a work trip and had AirTags in all my bags. I was with a dozen other people and we all have company issued backpacks, meaning they all look identical for the most part. So when we left our meetings it was super helpful to look in the app to make sure that MY backpack actually made it into the rental car. When our flight got cancelled and we decided to drive home, my backpack actually wound up in the wrong car (we caravaned with two cars). It was comforting to see that my backpack was still making its way across Kansas as we drove. Once we stopped for gas I made sure to grab mine and put it in the car I was actually riding in. Additionally, I tend to use my AirPods on the flight but then toss them in my backpack and leave them there until the trip home. Of course, once I left the hotel I got that nagging feeling, "Did I leave my AirPods in the hotel room?" A quick check in the app confirmed that I had not and that they were with my backpack (in the other car).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.