Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2021
Just an opinion piece, I currently have a Tile Mate 2022 on my keys I got as a Christmas gift, it works well for me, but I like the feature of it alerting me if I leave it behind and for that you have to pay for a subscription. Also the company that bought Tile in 2021 or 22, was caught selling tracking data to data brokers, but since being caught apparently they claim to have stopped doing that.
I looked at Chipolo which I think is better then AirTags too with a louder beeper but they also admit to selling tracking data..

So AirTags are the only ones for me, I get the feature of it telling me if I leave them behind, and Apple aren’t likely to sell my tracking info to data brokers. Crazy world we live in. It’s not the best tracker, but I have put an AirTag on my Christmas list for this year to replace the Tile as it’s crazy paying a monthly fee for a single feature that should be free.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2021
A question though, does the more accurate final tracking make up for the quieter beeper the Airtag has? reviews seemed to mostly suggest its a novelty feature, to me it seems a feature to replace a louder buzzer.

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
A question though, does the more accurate final tracking make up for the quieter beeper the Airtag has? reviews seemed to mostly suggest its a novelty feature, to me it seems a feature to replace a louder buzzer.
I think so. I can't hear the beeps that great, so using the app to guide me towards the tag is pretty much my only option and it works well. I've even made a game out of it with my niece and nephews, challenging them to hide my AirTag in a spot where I can't find it. They've hid it in some pretty interesting places, but haven't been successful in stumping me.

My only complaint with AirTags is that the left behind / separation alerts don't work in a timely manner. Unlike other trackers that alert you when a Bluetooth connection is lost (30-ish feet away), AirTags don't work that way. You get the notification when the Find My network detects you moved far away from them. For example, I left my luggage containing an AirTag behind with family while I went to look for some food at an airport. I didn't get the notification until 5-ish minutes later when I was way on the other side of the airport. Imagine if someone had left something behind at the TSA checkpoint, it could be too late to go back and get it by the time the left behind notification comes though. Similarly, if something was left behind on a train or bus, it could have taken off by the time you get the notification. If you want something that gives you more immediate notifications, AirTags are not it.

Reactions: Whigu and Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2021
I think so. I can't hear the beeps that great, so using the app to guide me towards the tag is pretty much my only option and it works well. I've even made a game out of it with my niece and nephews, challenging them to hide my AirTag in a spot where I can't find it. They've hid it in some pretty interesting places, but haven't been successful in stumping me.

My only complaint with AirTags is that the left behind / separation alerts don't work in a timely manner. Unlike other trackers that alert you when a Bluetooth connection is lost (30-ish feet away), AirTags don't work that way. You get the notification when the Find My network detects you moved far away from them. For example, I left my luggage containing an AirTag behind with family while I went to look for some food at an airport. I didn't get the notification until 5-ish minutes later when I was way on the other side of the airport. Imagine if someone had left something behind at the TSA checkpoint, it could be too late to go back and get it by the time the left behind notification comes though. Similarly, if something was left behind on a train or bus, it could have taken off by the time you get the notification. If you want something that gives you more immediate notifications, AirTags are not it.
Thank you for that, that’s given me food for thought I have to say. If you’ve left keys on at home that doesn’t matter, but if you leave them in a public place it does.

Reactions: Steven SANH

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Just an opinion piece, I currently have a Tile Mate 2022 on my keys I got as a Christmas gift, it works well for me, but I like the feature of it alerting me if I leave it behind and for that you have to pay for a subscription. Also the company that bought Tile in 2021 or 22, was caught selling tracking data to data brokers, but since being caught apparently they claim to have stopped doing that.
I looked at Chipolo which I think is better then AirTags too with a louder beeper but they also admit to selling tracking data..

So AirTags are the only ones for me, I get the feature of it telling me if I leave them behind, and Apple aren’t likely to sell my tracking info to data brokers. Crazy world we live in. It’s not the best tracker, but I have put an AirTag on my Christmas list for this year to replace the Tile as it’s crazy paying a monthly fee for a single feature that should be free.

Unless you are installing and pairing with the Chipolo app, there is no way they could gather data from a Find My enabled device.

Reactions: oMc

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Thank you for that, that’s given me food for thought I have to say. If you’ve left keys on at home that doesn’t matter, but if you leave them in a public place it does.
Exactly. Leave something behind at home or at a family/friend's...no big deal...you can turn around and get it. Leave something behind at a public place...well, it might be too late to turn around and get it...or someone could have already taken it since you'd be far out of sight.

If Apple ever comes out with "AirTags 2" or "AirTags Pro", hopefully they make it work like a Bluetooth tracker as well for more immediate separation alerts. Many people think AirTags are paired to your phone via Bluetooth, but they are not. They are paired to your Apple ID. All they do is send out beacons for other devices to pick up and report to the Find My network. Your phone itself does not know if your AirTags are with you or not...it relies on the Find My network.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
the only  product I did not own or buy in 2022 was an air tag.
so I purchased one last December so the when or if the "mall cops" arrogantly move my Trek Verve bicycle I know where that is. my concern is I get an alert when I leave my bike locked to shop or walk they want to to retrieve the tag.
hopefully the purpose of the tag wont be defeated?

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
the only  product I did not own or buy in 2022 was an air tag.
so I purchased one last December so the when or if the "mall cops" arrogantly move my Trek Verve bicycle I know where that is. my concern is I get an alert when I leave my bike locked to shop or walk they want to to retrieve the tag.
hopefully the purpose of the tag wont be defeated?

The tag should still work as advertised. Even though you're getting an alert once you walk away from it, you still know exactly where you parked your bike (and hopefully the tag is somewhat concealed and secure, so no one should outright be searching for it)

Worst case scenario, if the bike is ever is moved...you can just open Find My to see the current location.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The tag should still work as advertised. Even though you're getting an alert once you walk away from it, you still know exactly where you parked your bike (and hopefully the tag is somewhat concealed and secure, so no one should outright be searching for it)

Worst case scenario, if the bike is ever is moved...you can just open Find My to see the current location.
thanks I hope I never use that feature,
but over jealous security guards wont stifle through a saddle bag under a CCTV camera in thinking.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
thanks I hope I never use that feature,
but over jealous security guards wont stifle through a saddle bag under a CCTV camera in thinking.

Yeah. While it's not impossible...the odds are very much in your favor that wont happen. It's a public place, with camera surveillance and the security guards are either employed by the mall / third party contractor...and they could potentially be held liable if theft occurred by a security guard on the job.

Plus, they'd have to know / assume you had an AirTag, search for it, retrieve & remove it, etc. all without knowing if you will return at any moment!

As long as you AirTag is concealed, that gives a bit of protection & peace of mind!

Reactions: MBAir2010

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
They share your data with advertising companies, they collect your tracking data.

This is impossible with Find My devices unless you are installing their app, which is not required.

The privacy policy covers all of their products, most (all?) of this is not applicable to Find My devices.

Think about it, how would any telemetry or usage data get back to them from the tracker? Apple isnt sending any data to them, and the tracker cannot communicate with a network on it's own.

Don't install their app.

Last edited:
Reactions: oMc

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2021
This is impossible with Find My devices unless you are installing their app, which is not required.

The privacy policy covers all of their products, most (all?) of this is not applicable to Find My devices.

Think about it, how would any telemetry or usage data get back to them from the tracker? Apple isnt sending any data to them, and the tracker cannot communicate with a network on it's own.

Don't install their app.

You cannot make a claim that, this is impossible with the Find My App, without then providing valid proof as to why, you need to back your claim up, because their written policy makes no mention of it only being applicable if you use their app.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
You cannot make a claim that, this is impossible with the Find My App, without then providing valid proof as to why, you need to back your claim up, because their written policy makes no mention of it only being applicable if you use their app.
I already explained how and why it is impossible. I can break down the capabilities of the hardware and show you how the technology works but I can’t make you believe it. Again the written policy is just a blanket CYA that covers all of their products and their app. I don’t know what to tell you other than what I already have explained.

If you really care to learn how Find My devices actually work, you will come to understand why it is not possible for a third party like Chipo to obtain tracking data for Find My enabled devices without you installing their app. Here is a technical write up that explains everything: https://petsymposium.org/popets/2021/popets-2021-0045.pdf

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
The Find My App still needs a lot of work it's so hit and miss.
Taking away the last known location feature was totally lame!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.