Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
As always these YouTubers who get given the ‘pweessents’ from Apple don’t go into enough detail and don’t answer the questions we need answers to.

So (in the hope that one of you guys know) the question is this...

I have an iPhone 12 Pro, my family have XR and XS’s. We use family sharing. If I buy an air tag 4 pack can I use precision mode to find a family members keys if they lose them? Given that only my iPhone supports precision mode?

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
This is a very good question, and an issue which I share (although my wife will probably be updating her phone in the Autumn).

From the only review I have found which seems to address this, it seems that family members can't see the location of others tags, so no, we can't use our phone to precision track other family members tags.

Reactions: hamburg040

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
To be fair, setting up AirTags and using precision finding both require iOS 14.5, which hasn’t been released yet. If you notice, all the reviewers were also given the new purple iPhone 12, which had 14.5 preloaded.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
To be fair, setting up AirTags and using precision finding both require iOS 14.5, which hasn’t been released yet. If you notice, all the reviewers were also given the new purple iPhone 12, which had 14.5 preloaded.
But they can still see whether the find my app will show up tags belonging to family members, which is that the OPs question is.

The fact that precision finding requires an iPhone 11 or 12 has been stated by Apple. What we want to know is if an airtag owner doesn’t have one of those phones then can a family member use theirs to locate it.

Reactions: darthbane2k

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
But they can still see whether the find my app will show up tags belonging to family members, which is that the OPs question is.
No, that’s NOT the OP’s question. By asking if they will simply show up in the app you’re asking a differeent question, since that doesn’t require precision tracking. The OP’s question is:
If I buy an air tag 4 pack can I use precision mode to find a family members keys if they lose them? Given that only my iPhone supports precision mode?
He specifically stated that his family members have pre-11 iPhones that the AirTags will register with. He then asks if he can track them using precision tracking with his 12 Pro. The reviewers have been unable to test this functionality because they could ONLY register the AirTags with the purple iPhone 12 Apple included in their review kit.

Reactions: darthbane2k

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
No, that’s NOT the OP’s question. By asking if they will simply show up in the app you’re asking a differeent question, since that doesn’t require precision tracking. The OP’s question is:

He specifically stated that his family members have pre-11 iPhones that the AirTags will register with. He then asks if he can track them using precision tracking with his 12 Pro. The reviewers have been unable to test this functionality because they could ONLY register the AirTags with the purple iPhone 12 Apple included in their review kit.
Right, I see what you are saying.

The biggest obstacle to family members being able to use precision tracking to find others tags is that they can actually see the tag in the find my app. I suppose that it is a possibility that they could see its general location but not be able to precision track, but that seems unlikely.

Another reviewer has stated that you can’t see family members tags in family sharing. I wonder how he got that info if he can’t set up the tags on a different phone. That gives me a little hole that he is wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.