Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intruso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Hej,

So, AirTags will use other people's iphone to signalize the device - right ? These iphones, when connected to internet will send that info to Apple and then to the "owner".

Who will pay for this bandwidth use ? And what about privacy ? I don't want to be a "messenger" to other people's devices... how do I refuse ?

Thanks!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Hej,

So, AirTags will use other people's iphone to signalize the device - right ? These iphones, when connected to internet will send that info to Apple and then to the "owner".

Who will pay for this bandwidth use ? And what about privacy ? I don't want to be a "messenger" to other people's devices... how do I refuse ?

Thanks!
The data is so small it wouldn’t affect your bill or battery life. The privacy aspect has been talked multiple times already. Do your home work yourself.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I would imagine if you're already connected to iCloud then you're connected to the find my network which means no difference in bandwidth.

Reactions: intruso

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Can a I-device user "opt out" of being in the Find My network at all?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
So some things to keep in mind here. First, realize that your phones are ALREADY doing this for things like AirPods, iPads, and Macs. Apple updated the FindMy network in September 2019. Second, the amount of data being sent is just a few bytes. Not megabytes. Not kilobytes. Bytes. In terms of battery usage, this is miniscule. In terms of cost, we're talking about like $0.001 or $0.0001 or even less. If you're really such a cheapskate that this much of an expense is truly a concern to you, then I feel for those who must put up with your ways on a regular basis.

Here's a good video that describes how the FindMy network works in detail:

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Yes, from the ‘Find My’ section in your iPhone settings (within the Apple ID section)
Good to know. Its funny because my Echo Show asked if I wanted to use some sidewalk feature to help Amazon users. I said "no" because i dont trust them. But with Apple's emphasis on privacy then I have no problem sharing a grain of internet if it could help someone find a lost item.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
So some things to keep in mind here. First, realize that your phones are ALREADY doing this for things like AirPods, iPads, and Macs. Apple updated the FindMy network in September 2019. Second, the amount of data being sent is just a few bytes. Not megabytes. Not kilobytes. Bytes. In terms of battery usage, this is miniscule. In terms of cost, we're talking about like $0.001 or $0.0001 or even less. If you're really such a cheapskate that this much of an expense is truly a concern to you, then I feel for those who must put up with your ways on a regular basis.

Here's a good video that describes how the FindMy network works in detail:

Thanks you for bringing some reality to the conversation.
I'm all for anyone's right to opt out, but at least make an informed decision.

neech7

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
Of all the big techs (Facebook, Google, Amazon and Apple), I'm the least concerned about privacy with Apple, given how they stake their reputation on this issue, even to the extend of refusing to help the FBI unlock a terrorist suspect's iPhone. The others would probably cave before FBI could say "please".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.