Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beejan181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
Bought AirTags brand new 2 days ago. Took the plastic tab out of battery and setup with my iPhone 13 Pro Max, named it as KEYS. This shows up in find my devices ok as with me.
When the car keys move out of the house in the car. The AirTags don’t seem to update location..
The battery is new.
Does anyone has got the same problem, how to fix this..Thanks

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
How long have you waited? The location doesn't update right away in real-time. I've had to wait a half hour or longer before.

AirTags also depend on other iDevices being around to have its location reported. Did the car/keys travel to another populated area, or down some road with no one else around?

Beejan181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
They updated after same time only once.
The AirTag was in the car with both android and iPhones in the car..
Can someone tell me how they work.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The AirTag was in the car with both android and iPhones in the car..
Androids don't work with AirTags. For the iPhone, was the Find My Network enabled?

Can someone tell me how they work.

In a nutshell:
  • AirTags broadcast a Bluetooth signal every few minutes or so.
  • Nearby Apple devices opted into the Find My Network pick up these signals and report their location to Apple.
  • Apple then shows you the location of the AirTag in the Find My app.
AirTags are not paired to your iPhone or iPad; they are paired to your Apple ID. The Find My app shows AirTags paired to your Apple ID and pulls their location information from Apple's servers.

Outside of that, we really don't know the specifics. Apple has some sort of algorithm to help prevent stalking. I'm guessing the time it takes for you to see the updated location is part of it...so that you can't just immediately follow someone home. AirTags will start beeping at some point if they move when you are not around them. An alert stating that an AirTag is following them will also show up on their phone as well.

Also, keep in mind that AirTags are designed to find lost items or to let you know you left something behind...not to follow them around on a map. Its location will show up eventually. We just don't know how or when Apple decides to push the location updates to you.

Last edited:

Beejan181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
Thanks for the update.
Yes the find my was enabled on iPhone.
I can track the location of the other iPhone but the keys ( AirTags were showing in home) for the past 15 min) I fact they were in the car..
1-How come people are putting them in a box and then finding them on planes and other countries.
2- what’s the point in having AirTags if there is no iPhone around with find my enabled
3- the AirTag is on the ground floor and is shoeing with me, when I try to press find it says connected but farther away more light is required and at times it says poor signal can connect..when I’m literally in a room above where AirTag is placed…
4- I did bought this to track my car, for the kids to know where the car is parked during school runs who have got iPhone with find my enabled,, the AirTags location doesn’t update and shows at home…..
5- I ve read there is an app for android, needs downloading for AirTags to work with android.
6- is the Samsung tile or similar device better for my purpose.
7- the school is only 1.4 miles away and 5 min drive..

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Thanks for the update.
Yes the find my was enabled on iPhone.
I can track the location of the other iPhone but the keys ( AirTags were showing in home) for the past 15 min) I fact they were in the car..
1-How come people are putting them in a box and then finding them on planes and other countries.
2- what’s the point in having AirTags if there is no iPhone around with find my enabled
3- the AirTag is on the ground floor and is shoeing with me, when I try to press find it says connected but farther away more light is required and at times it says poor signal can connect..when I’m literally in a room above where AirTag is placed…
4- I did bought this to track my car, for the kids to know where the car is parked during school runs who have got iPhone with find my enabled,, the AirTags location doesn’t update and shows at home…..
5- I ve read there is an app for android, needs downloading for AirTags to work with android.
6- is the Samsung tile or similar device better for my purpose.
7- the school is only 1.4 miles away and 5 min drive..
1) Because that's what AirTags do. Hundreds of millions of people across the world have iPhones, and they're opted into the Find My Network by default. Unless an AirTag is in a remote location, chances are high that someone (a stranger) will be passing by with an iPhone that will pick up the AirTag's broadcast signal and send its location to Apple. Again, we don't know how/when Apple decides to relay that information back to us. The location will update at some point, just not in real-time and maybe not in a timely manner that you you'd like.

2) It's unlikely to happen, see previous answer.

3) Bluetooth signals are weak and cannot travel through objects or walls and ceilings that well. The "more light is required" message is for the camera to help your phone orient its bearings as it moves around for precision finding.

4) This isn't a good use case for AirTags. If someone's phone on the other side of the parking lot or street picks up your AirTag's signal, your AirTag/car will be shown way over there. Remember, AirTags don't have a GPS signal, nor do nearby iPhones that pick up the signal know where exactly the AirTag is. The location shown on the Find My map is the approximate location of the phone that detected the AirTag. If multiple phones detected the AirTag, then the location may be triangulated but still could be off.

5) The Android app is only intended to help one find AirTags around them if they suspect they're being followed/stalked (by making them beep). It does not detect and report the location of AirTags to the Find My Network like Apple devices do. It also does not show where your AirTags are on a map like the Find My app.

6) Samsung Galaxy SmartTags don't work with iPhones. They're essentially the Android version of AirTags and work exactly the same way...so not a good choice either. Tile is about the same as well. Is there still someone in the car during school runs? If so, why not just share their location to the kids? Or if they're parking the car and leaving it...open Maps, tap the blue dot, and send that location to the kids before leaving the car. It's a little bit more work, but at least it'll be accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.