Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Are these okay to put in my kids backpacks? I don't really expect to monitor them 24/7, just to make sure they got to school and also when they leave the school (for example I see them on the bus ride home) so I know when to meet them at the bus stop.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Are these okay to put in my kids backpacks? I don't really expect to monitor them 24/7, just to make sure they got to school and also when they leave the school (for example I see them on the bus ride home) so I know when to meet them at the bus stop.

They are going to make a chirping sound when they are moved and are not near your phone.

Other than that I suppose it is up to you if you want to put an airtag in their bag. Seems like a good idea if there are no complaints of distractions to the classroom.

Reactions: heath_durbin

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Ah didn’t realize the chirping. Btw I am aware people use these for stalking, like if I wanted to stalk someone and throw it in someone’s car, I can simply wait a few hours or the next morning to see where they live.

My main concern is the real-time tracking. I don’t want to be fooled into thinking my kids are still at school when in reality they are waiting for me at the bus stop near our home. The chirping is a no-no, don’t want them making noises in the class.

Reactions: heath_durbin

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Ah didn’t realize the chirping. Btw I am aware people use these for stalking, like if I wanted to stalk someone and throw it in someone’s car, I can simply wait a few hours or the next morning to see where they live.

My main concern is the real-time tracking. I don’t want to be fooled into thinking my kids are still at school when in reality they are waiting for me at the bus stop near our home. The chirping is a no-no, don’t want them making noises in the class.

The airtags do work pretty good for this due to the nature of how they work. When any other iphone is near by they will automatically connect and send an update with their status and location. Because of the pervasiveness of iPhones, this usually ends up covering that kind of use case pretty well as they update pretty frequently.

As far as stalking, yes, that was a concern especially at launch, but since then Apple has built in many features to alert an unsuspecting person that an airtag is traveling with them, and the chirping is one example.

Here is the official page with the other 'anti-stalking' features:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

What you'd be doing is basically stalking your own kids. Not saying it's wrong (because if I had small kids, I'd probably want to do the same thing), but the mechanics are otherwise the same as putting it in an unsuspecting person's purse and following their location.

So at some point, the AirTag would start making the anti-stalking noise. It's not particularly loud, but in a classroom it might be noticeable.

The "official" solution for this is to put a cellular Apple Watch on your kid's wrist and set it up on your phone as a family-member watch for those who don't have their own iPhone. You'll be able to track their exact GPS location transmitted via cellular (or wifi if there's a wifi network the watch can use and knows). Obviously not the most cost-effective situation, but really the only one that can be done with Apple hardware that couldn't be used in a stalking situation.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
If the kid doesn’t carry iPhone I don’t think the AirTag would make a sound because it doesn’t follow any iPhone? It’ll just be like an AirTag that’s lost but move around?

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
If the kid doesn’t carry iPhone I don’t think the AirTag would make a sound because it doesn’t follow any iPhone? It’ll just be like an AirTag that’s lost but move around?
If an Airtag isnt near the device it is paired to it will chime when the accelerometer is activated. This is clearly outlined in the Apple support pages previously linked in this thread.

Reactions: matrix07

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Airtags are often used in luggage when flying. I believe they start to make a noise after around 8 hours minimum, so it should last a school day.

Apple states 'some amount of time'.

In my personal experience I've had it occur in less than 8 hours.

The chiming isnt very noticeable, so I dont think it is an issue for airport baggage handlers. That said it probably wouldnt be a big issue in a classroom if it stays on their backpack. It is not a continuous chime.
IMG_0378.png

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Unless the teachers’ phones decide the AirTag is following them (Since they’re likely to be where the kids are).

And repeatedly moving an AirTag no longer near its owner‘s phone will (eventually) cause it to beep, too.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the input guys, OP here. After a few weeks of school starting (and seeing how the neighborhood is safe with lots of kids in our neighborhood taking the same bus), I've decided I don't need Airtags. The bus is really predictable and picks them up and drops them off at the same time every day.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
If your child knows you’re doing it, is it still stalking?
Of course not. I said as much, and that I would do it too if my kids were that age (now, at age 23 and 25, I think they might object, lol). What I meant was that methodically it's no different than stalking someone with an AirTag. Which is why the system would eventually cause the thing to start beeping.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I place one in my daughters school bag as she has started to walk home from school on her own. It's only a 5-10 min walk but its there just for extra reassurance over anything else. My daughter put it in her zipper pocket in her bag herself, so knows its there and is happy to ignore it.
Never noticed it making any sounds etc at all.

Reactions: Chuckeee

awshucks

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2023

If you are good with tools it is possible to disassemble the AirTag, remove the speaker, and put it back together. I’ve done it before and I’m no professional!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I thought all kids had iPhones. If the kids have iPhones, you don't need airtags because you can track the phone (if the kids share their location with you. If they don't have phones then you can buy a cheap used phone for about $100.

Airtags are a good solution to finding a lost backpack if that is a problem.

One thing about airbags is the tracking alarm. I was walking with someone the other day and she had an airtag inher backpack, just in case she misplaced it. I got a phone alert saysing an airtag I did not own was traveling with me. I assume this would happen a lot if yourkids had airtags in their backpacks, other kids they travel with (like on a bus) would get alerts on their phones.

The better way to track people who you know is by asking them to share their location on their phone.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I thought all kids had iPhones. If the kids have iPhones, you don't need airtags because you can track the phone (if the kids share their location with you. If they don't have phones then you can buy a cheap used phone for about $100.

Airtags are a good solution to finding a lost backpack if that is a problem.

One thing about airbags is the tracking alarm. I was walking with someone the other day and she had an airtag inher backpack, just in case she misplaced it. I got a phone alert saysing an airtag I did not own was traveling with me. I assume this would happen a lot if yourkids had airtags in their backpacks, other kids they travel with (like on a bus) would get alerts on their phones.

The better way to track people who you know is by asking them to share their location on their phone.
Apple has implemented measures in the algorithm that they use to account for mass transit - so the only likelihood on a school bus would be if the driver was the only one with an iPhone. :)

I think the watch idea is the best (if you want to avoid the cost of a cellular plan) - especially if you have a metropolitan area wifi network - could avoid paying the fees for adding a cellular watch to your plan.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
I think the best thing for these kinds of cases is to get a cheap Apple Watch with Cellular (second hand, etc) and use Family setup on it and give it to your kids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.