Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziomangrovia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
I'd like to replace current 2TB disk of Airtime Capsule device because It's 10 y.o. !
I thought to replace it to another one of 4 TB, Can you suggest me requirements please?
  1. Rpm
  2. Sata vesion
  3. Size 3.5" ?
  4. Brand or model ?
Thanks

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It seems, from the iFixit page, that it's a standard 3.5" SATA drive. The speed probably doesn't really matter for a backup drive.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether there's a size limit. It was apparently sold with drives up to 3 TB and I've found a reference of someone putting a 6 TB in, so I'm guessing you'll be OK with a 4 TB drive.

Of course, you can also connect a USB hard drive to the Time Capsule instead of opening it up.

ziomangrovia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
It seems, from the iFixit page, that it's a standard 3.5" SATA drive. The speed probably doesn't really matter for a backup drive.

I found out It's 3.5", but what about WD Enterprise Gold 4 TB ? I noted its high price but It can be "alive" for many year if you compare It to WD lower class.
E.g. this cheaper Seagate model ?

https://www.amazon.it/Seagate-ST400...ywords=hdd+4+tb+seagate&qid=1713680025&sr=8-3

I prefer CMR architecture, but what about disk live ?
I read about spin down time, can you suggest if I can have issue about it ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.