Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Not sure if any of you have followed the CSB-Digital/AlamDV saga...basically these three young guys in the UK created a monster when they developed AlamDV--a $50 powerhouse special effects program. AlamDV2 quickly followed and provided a plugin architecture. A huge community grew at http://www.fxhome.com with hundreds of movies of teenagers with lightsabers, explosions and muzzle flashes. Good clean fun.

In early 2003 they announced AlamDV3 and took pre-orders. It was going to be a total rewrite, more powerful with WinXP and OS X support. (AlamDV2 is only OS 9) Months went by, then a year, then they released a compositing app, which was supposed to be the new engine for AlamDV3. Fans were getting upset. Where is AlamDV3? New release date was late 2004. Then end of 2004. Nothing.

Well it looks like they are now finally close to wrapping it up. They were pretty honest about the mistakes they made in promising the software 2.5 years before they delivered. AlamDV3 has been renamed EffectsLab DV. There is a quick trailer at fxhome.com. It looks good. Current price is about $95 US. It will be interesting to see if Mac OS X version is out the same day as Windows version.

I wish these guys well but I'm not sure if I'll purchase EffectsLab. I got tired of waiting for AlamDV3 and purchased Virtix Arsenal (iMovie plugin) and it does all I need to create small lightsaber duels with my 4 year old son and it works directly in iMovie, which is very nice. I'll check out EffectsLab and maybe I'll purchase just to reward CSB-Digital for their hard work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.