Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Don't compare it with 6800U as you might regret your purchase and you missed the Thinkbook 6800U/16GB/512GB deal for ~$800. I'll keep postponing my purchase until Intel gets off 10nm (what their marketing calls Intel 7).

• Haha
Reactions: Colstan

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Don't compare it with 6800U as you might regret your purchase and you missed the Thinkbook 6800U/16GB/512GB deal for ~$800. I'll keep postponing my purchase until Intel gets off 10nm (what their marketing calls Intel 7).

I will never buy another Lenovo product. They have a great build but tend to skip on things like screen brightness. That is a good deal though. I don't regret my purchase as I only see one model with a 6800u and it is a thinkbook with a 300nit screen. I hate dim screens and that is just barely acceptable brightness. I would have to keep it turned up all the way and it is lcd and not oled. It also doesn't have an sd card reader.

Intel is certainly not perfect and AMD still has a slight advantage. However Intel is finally using more cores and the Intel 7 is 10-15% faster per watt than Tiger Lake which is pretty decent. As for waiting until Intel gets to a true 7nm you might not be waiting much longer. They announced a roadmap where Intel 4 should be released later this year and early next year. I think Intel 4 is going to be a serious game changer and Intel has some serious plans for the future. I will include a link detailing the upcoming processors. Intel 20A available in 2024 will be in the 1nm range. If they keep the big little and multiple cores these things are going to be really fast and efficient.

All that being said I think 12th gen is actually a major inflection point where Intel is now competitive with AMD and M series chips and if they keep to the road map might even surpass AMD. The 1260P might not be as fast as the 6800u it is not like Tiger Lake which was far behind in multi-core. They are close and they have even faster P series chips.

I am actually excited for Intel again. My tiny little samsung may not be as fast as an M1 or M2 series Air but it is close and if I got the Pro version I would have a 1260p which would be faster than the M1 and equal to M2. Sure it needs fans and more juice but they still run good on battery and they perform almost the same on or off battery. AMD still throttles the cpu back about 30-40% on battery which Intel doesn't. So that alone may account for battery and you can use settings in Windows to lower cpu performance on battery if needed on the Intel settings and get very close to AMD in battery life and probably better performance.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.