Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Taking a stab here, if anyone might point me in the right direction. We gave our dad an iPhone 6. It's older. But we just need it for him to be able to make and receive calls. Emergency use. He's older, and we worry about him when he's by himself at home. He's hearing impaired. So 95% of the time, he doesn't hear our calls. Even though his phone is beside him. We've tried teaching him how to make sure he knows he's receiving a call. But it doesn't seem to be sticking.

So I'm wondering, is there a bluetooth device available, that can connect with his iPhone. That can sit in front of his tv (which he watches a lot), and lights up when an incoming call comes through. Or even a text message. Alerting him to look at his phone, and answer it. Much appreciated.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Not sure about cell phones but I know there is a device that will cause a lamp to turn on and off when receiving a call. You need to contact the the hard of hearing society in your city and they will advise where to get device that help the hard of hearing.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Hello, I am hearing impaired too. Did you try to enable flash for notifications? Works for calls too. Settings/Acessibility/Audio-Visual/LED Flash for Alerts at the bottom. Only device for alerts I can think of are Apple Watch. I believe only 6S and higher support Apple watch, unfortunately.

Reactions: gslrider

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Hello, I am hearing impaired too. Did you try to enable flash for notifications? Works for calls too. Settings/Acessibility/Audio-Visual/LED Flash for Alerts at the bottom. Only device for alerts I can think of are Apple Watch. I believe only 6S and higher support Apple watch, unfortunately.
We've tried that already. He leaves his phone beside him, while he watches tv. So even it it was flashing he wouldn't know. That's why I was thinking if there was a device that we can put in a spot where he is actually looking, and flashes, it will notify him to look at his phone. We've also thought about getting him a smartwatch that will notify him when he gets incoming calls. But that's expensive for just something like that. And he's very particular of his watches. He doesn't like wearing digital watches. lol

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
We've tried that already. He leaves his phone beside him, while he watches tv. So even it it was flashing he wouldn't know. That's why I was thinking if there was a device that we can put in a spot where he is actually looking, and flashes, it will notify him to look at his phone. We've also thought about getting him a smartwatch that will notify him when he gets incoming calls. But that's expensive for just something like that. And he's very particular of his watches. He doesn't like wearing digital watches. lol
An Apple-only idea: If there is WiFi and you have another iPhone or iPod Touch to spare, you can place this one with the back / notification LED pointing towards your dad. If this device is signed in with the same Apple-ID and in the same WiFi as the main iPhone 6, it also signals incoming calls (via the flash). This device could be placed permanently and connected to a charger.
Requires iOS 9 or higher so it should even work down to an iPhone 4s.
Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac

Last edited:
Reactions: gslrider and max2

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
An Apple-only idea: If there is WiFi and you have another iPhone or iPod Touch to spare, you can place this one with the back / notification LED pointing towards your dad. If this device is signed in with the same Apple-ID and in the same WiFi as the main iPhone 6, it also signals incoming calls (via the flash). This device could be placed permanently and connected to a charger.
Requires iOS 9 or higher so it should even work down to an iPhone 4s.
Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
Thanks arw! I will give this a go. We have a couple of old ipods we haven't been using for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.