Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
As some of you know there is an odd inability to purchase full series of TV Shows within the TV app, only individual seasons are available. The workaround is to access the iTunes Store subsection for TV Shows, which was kind of hidden but technically accessible in the Music app in Catalina via web links or searches.

Now, clicking on links from the iTunes Store for TV Shows only directs you to the TV app and nothing from the Movies / TV Shows subsections appear in an iTunes Store search. I believe this means there is no way to purchase full TV Show series on macOS 11. Luckily these subsections are still accessible in iOS / iPad OS 14.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Interesting. In iTunes, the TV Show section is still accessible from the iTunes store drop down menu. But in Music, the drop down menu has a single item: Music.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 14.59.24.png

• Sad
Reactions: UltimateSyn

maverick100

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2019
Hi, This has been one of the many problems with the TV app in Catalina. You can not purchase full TV series in Catalina. I have been on the phone for several hours with second and third tier Apple Support about the problems with TV/Video app in Catalina. I wish Apple would give half the love to Video as it does to Music. I could write volumes about the problems with the TV app in Catalina. I am still on Mojave because of these problems. I am not a Developer so I am waiting for the Public release of the Beta of Big Sur. When it arrives I will be installing and Testing on Several SSD attached to my iMac. One will be a clean install; one will be a CCC of my iMac; just to see the differences.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Hi, This has been one of the many problems with the TV app in Catalina. You can not purchase full TV series in Catalina. I have been on the phone for several hours with second and third tier Apple Support about the problems with TV/Video app in Catalina. I wish Apple would give half the love to Video as it does to Music. I could write volumes about the problems with the TV app in Catalina. I am still on Mojave because of these problems. I am not a Developer so I am waiting for the Public release of the Beta of Big Sur. When it arrives I will be installing and Testing on Several SSD attached to my iMac. One will be a clean install; one will be a CCC of my iMac; just to see the differences.
I believe I was still able to indirectly access the TV Shows' full series in Catalina. If you search Google for '{x show} complete series iTunes' and then click the link from Google I think you can get that redirect you to that item in the iTunes Store. I believe searches in the iTunes Store within Music also still return results for TV Shows and Movies in Catalina, no?

I wish they weren't moving so strongly away from the ability to buy and own your content. Streaming has its place, and I welcome it wholeheartedly, but it should live alongside content purchase options and not take their place.

Interesting. In iTunes, the TV Show section is still accessible from the iTunes store drop down menu. But in Music, the drop down menu has a single item: Music.
Yup, unfortunately that was already the case in Catalina, but as stated above I'm pretty sure non-music results showed up in search and now they don't. How are you running iTunes? Did you just do the direct download from Apple's website? That's what I'm trying now.

Edit: Nvm that didn't work :( got an error 'This update requires macOS version 10.13.99 or earlier.'

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikGrim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.