Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hi guys,

I’ve been using Siri for years. Recently I got a Sonos Beam which has Alexa built in, and I started using it for controlling my TV, my Roomba, thermostat, music, setting timers etc. etc.

I always heard that Siri were miles behind Alexa and the Google assistant. I can certainly see that Alexa has tons of functionality and I love that - BUT I find its understanding to be average at best.

Quite often Alexa will not “wake” when I say “Alexa”, so I have to repeat myself, speak louder, move closer etc. And too often when it does listen, it will misunderstand what I’m saying. These things very rarely happens for me with Siri.

I’m curious if it’s because Siri has just over time learned to understand me better, and my Alexa is still new and haven’t had the time to do so yet.. I’m curious to hear from someone else who uses both assistants - what are your thoughts on Alexa’s listening and understanding abilities compared to Siri?

Ps. I’m talking about Siri on Apple Watch and iPhone. Haven’t tried HomePod

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have Siri on iPhone, iPad, HomePod, Apple Watch and the Apple TV and Alexa on a few echo devices and a fire HD tablet. I find them all to be about the same in terms of responsiveness. Alexa can understand and answer more queries but the best is the google assistant in terms of ability.

Reactions: felixen

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I have Siri on iPhone, iPad, HomePod, Apple Watch and the Apple TV and Alexa on a few echo devices and a fire HD tablet. I find them all to be about the same in terms of responsiveness. Alexa can understand and answer more queries but the best is the google assistant in terms of ability.

Interesting. I guess it could be something with the microphone in my Sonos Beam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.