Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vetoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
I went to iCloud website to create new alias (first time) but I receive "iCloud.com Alias cannot be saved at this time" error every time I try. I tried to do it on my iPhone that is on iOS 14.8 but there is not alias option at all. Whole alias section is missing. I only have iCloud account information and Outgoing mail server sections.

Does anyone have any info about this? Is that feature region locked or something?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The service may have simply been unavailable at that time. I can see they're available now on iCloud.com via Safari on my iPad. The iCloud alises (as opposed to the new Hide My Email addresses) are only available to set up and manage via a browser at iCloud.com.

Open the link below and scroll to the bottom, tap on the country name on the right to change it to your country/region, which may help to tell you whether it's available:

vetoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
The service may have simply been unavailable at that time. I can see they're available now on iCloud.com via Safari on my iPad. The iCloud alises (as opposed to the new Hide My Email addresses) are only available to set up and manage via a browser at iCloud.com.

Open the link below and scroll to the bottom, tap on the country name on the right to change it to your country/region, which may help to tell you whether it's available:

They are available on icloud.com for me too but I get unavailability message every time I try to create alias. If I Google the message I get I can see that other has same issue and that is why I assumed that there is an issue and that message is wrong.

When I said that whole alias section is missing, I was referring to my phone. There are screenshots online and tutorials that shows alias section in iOS so I assumed that I'm missing that since I never had it.

Maybe there is an issue because I haven't updated yet so iCloud is on newest version and my devices are not.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
When I said that whole alias section is missing, I was referring to my phone. There are screenshots online and tutorials that shows alias section in iOS so I assumed that I'm missing that since I never had it.
Do you mean going to iCloud.com on your phone? Or Settings > Mail? Or Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Mail > Allow Sending From? If something else, would you post a link to the "screenshots online and tutorials" you've mentioned?

vetoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2017
When I say iCloud.com I was talking about going to that website with my Macbook and Safari browser. There is where I receive "iCloud.com Alias cannot be saved at this time" error every time I try.

As alternative to that I tried to do same thing but on my iPhone using iOS mail settings in Settings > iCloud > Mail. Reason why I went that route is because I saw that there is UI for alias setup in iOS.

Now when I went to that tutorial again I think that I misunderstood that tutorial. I should first go to the iCloud.com website and create alias there and then I will have UI on iOS and macOS to setup alias options the way I want.

Googoling I have stumbled upon this sentence "Also make sure to check that your region and address information matches the country you’re in. Sometimes those sorts of minutia can lead to issues". I'm currently moving from one country to another and I did switch my region but not my all information is complete yet. I'm also missing payment option since I still didn't open a bank account from new country. Maybe that is a problem.

EDIT. After updating to iOS 15 and macOS Monterey everything works fine.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
When I say iCloud.com I was talking about going to that website with my Macbook and Safari browser. There is where I receive "iCloud.com Alias cannot be saved at this time" error every time I try.

As alternative to that I tried to do same thing but on my iPhone using iOS mail settings in Settings > iCloud > Mail. Reason why I went that route is because I saw that there is UI for alias setup in iOS.

Now when I went to that tutorial again I think that I misunderstood that tutorial. I should first go to the iCloud.com website and create alias there and then I will have UI on iOS and macOS to setup alias options the way I want.

Googoling I have stumbled upon this sentence "Also make sure to check that your region and address information matches the country you’re in. Sometimes those sorts of minutia can lead to issues". I'm currently moving from one country to another and I did switch my region but not my all information is complete yet. I'm also missing payment option since I still didn't open a bank account from new country. Maybe that is a problem.
Yes, these details are helpful to understand the whole picture. It could be a regional issue. Hope it gets resolved for you because it's a great feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.