Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you upgrading your plan?

• Yes, I want to have unlimited now in case I need it

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No, I will not use more than 2GB @$25.00.

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • I am going to return my iPad 3G and get a Wifi only

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I am not hitting the cap yet, but the idea of not having the option to get "unlimited" when I want to makes me want to jump to the upgrade now before June 7th.

What do you guys think? Are you hitting your 250mb cap? Are you upgrading just to get "unlimited"?

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I signed up for 250mb on May 11. I've so far used 78mb, checking email and surfing. I'm careful with my usage and I'm not streaming movies and I'm paying attention. I also canceled my plan, because I'm only going to use it when I know I'll be traveling. Next travel time is in a couple of months and the only question is: 250mb or 2gb?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Remember, this was the standard plan from Day 1 in Canada. $15/250mb or $35/5 gigs.

I've had my 3G plan turned on since Sunday and I've already hit 120 megs. Granted, that's probably more than I'll normally use once I settle down, but at that rate, 250 megs is going to go by quick. Note that I did download 1 Youtube video, but avoided apps and anything else that was data intensive -- I just checked email, Facebook, surfed, etc.

int3rnal

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
Remember, this was the standard plan from Day 1 in Canada. $15/250mb or $35/5 gigs.

I've had my 3G plan turned on since Sunday and I've already hit 120 megs. Granted, that's probably more than I'll normally use once I settle down, but at that rate, 250 megs is going to go by quick. Note that I did download 1 Youtube video, but avoided apps and anything else that was data intensive -- I just checked email, Facebook, surfed, etc.

What's your point? It wasn't the standard here in the states, that's why people are angry.

I originally signed up with the 250mb plan, but there's no way i'm giving my money to ATT considering the crap they pulled. Rather, since I'm purchasing the HTC Evo on friday, I'll just pay the extra $30 for the mobile hotspot feature which allows wifi connectivity for up to 8 devices.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I agree it's annoying, but for my habits not much of a problem. Just for the speed difference, I have always used wifi for large data transfer, and 3g for general web use. My monthly (on my iphone) has been less than 500MB. So I don't expect 2gb to be a problem.

Or I just keep the 3G for travel and live with wifi most of the time. Or I just shut 3G off . . .

guicane

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
London, UK
No tethering, bad coverage, now no unlimited data plan.

I do feel sorry for you americans. Seriously do. :D

*Waving happily from the UK*

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
No worries - those that need connectivity can always go Verizon (MIFI - Business Plan still gives you Unlimited) like I did. I have yet to activate my 3G's and now probably never will. Next Gen Ipad will likely have a Verizon XG solution so all we have to do is wait.

No tethering, bad coverage, now no unlimited data plan.

I do feel sorry for you americans. Seriously do. :D

*Waving happily from the UK*

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
No worries - those that need connectivity can always go Verizon (MIFI - Business Plan still gives you Unlimited) like I did. I have yet to activate my 3G's and now probably never will. Next Gen Ipad will likely have a Verizon XG solution so all we have to do is wait.

At what price? And for how long before they, too, kill unlimited?

MiguelS

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2010
San Jose
I would like to know this.

Since I am at the brink of between 200mb-250MB of data, can I pay the $15 dollars and 1GB of data will cost me $10 more.

Would be nice to just pay $15 and they charge me $10 when I go over...which will not happen much.

Would suck if they start a different Tier Pricing for 200mb monthly contracts.

Or yet, just be able to keep my 250 plan for $15 and buy 1gb if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.