Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2001
according to this guy, apple will give the g3 the axe and make MW NY G4 only.

http://www.go2mac.com/story.lasso?newsID=8021

Hey maybe those dual tibook sightings weren't screwy afterall. But if this story is to really hold water there would have to be something offered in the 1500-1700 range.

iboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2001
We are going far away from the reality now...

poor, poor, poor !!!

[Edited by iboy on 07-07-2001 at 06:58 AM]

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
trash

That article was trash, a G4 imac would be too expensive and doing anything major to the ibook soon after it has been launched is madness.
Although maybe a G4 imac would fit the gap in the market the cube left..... is there a gap?

PowerUser86

macrumors member
May 14, 2001
Kobe, Japan
If the iMac went G4, it would fill the cube gap, but it would also create a gap of its own. Because the iMac is the consumer grade computer, the cube was a semi-pro model, and the tower is a pro model. if the imac filled the cube spot at the semi-pro model, then there would be a big gap in the consumer model slot. See what Im getttng at?

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
more trash

Yeah i do get what u r on about but if there was a G3 imac and a G4 imac then it would fit both sectors of the market, otherwise a dual G3? is a G3 possible in a multiprocessor setup?....... please tell me because i dont know.
What you have to ask yourself is whether the cube left a gap in the market, and if it did is it really big enough to be worth filling?
personally i dont think a G4 imac is plausible.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
All G4 isnt here just yet

There is a good chance the higher end iMac could become G4. Look at the pricing points. $3195 for g3 600 or $3495 for a G4 466 (These are AU Prices), You pull out the expensive gigabit ethernet, graphics card, add onboard video, cheap CRT screen and cheap enclosure and "hey presto", the iMac G4 isnt unbelievable, (not to mention cuts in 466 G4 tower prices last week).

Also, If you think about what would happen to G4 prices if you stuck them in iMac's. They would plummet down because of the volume of sales iMac has over the rest of the range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.