Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhazya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2015
United States
Apologies if this is a long read.

I upgraded to El Capitan from Yosemite several weeks back. At first any image file (png/gif/jpg) wanted to open in either Firefox or Send to Kindle. (When before it had always been Preview) Now it seems to have set to thinking every image should be opened with Send to Kindle.

So I would do Command+I on the image, and where it says, Open with: Send to Kindle (default) I would select the button that says Change All, and scroll through my list of programs until I found Preview. I'd select Preview then checkmark "always open with", then hit add. Then I'd go back to the first area, and say "change all again" and then I'd get the "Are you sure you want to change all similar documents to open with the application "Preview"? This change will apply to all documents with the extension ".png"..

This "fix" varies, it'll last every anywhere from a few minutes, to several hours. This happens on images that show or hide the extension. This all happens with images that were created pre-El Capitan. This will also happen on images that I've already applied the "fix" to. This will also happen whether or a not an image has been renamed. Upon restarting, it seems as if Send to Kindle is back to being the default image viewer on every image, but that's not always the case either.

Send to Kindle is a way for me to send files to my Kindle, whether it's an image, PDF, an ebook, whatever. I do use it and I don't want to get rid of it. And I'm afraid if I delete, another non-suitable program will take its place. (Like suddenly iTunes will volunteer as tribute and want to open all images). Send to Kindle and Preview didn't have any conflict in Yosemite at all.

I can't find anything into Send to Kindle's preferences to make it not think it should be the default image viewer, and upon clicking an image it brings up the window giving me the option to send it to my Kindle device(s), not actually open the image on my computer. Amazon doesn't really do much support for Send to Kindle, and I'm sure they'd point me back to Apple. I also imagine Apple would say, "Oh just go to High Sierra."

I also can't find anything in Preview's preferences to tell the program that I want it to be the default image viewer either.

Do I need to throw out a plist somewhere? I've tinkered with changing permissions on images to having it so me/staff/everyone can both read and write, but it also defaults to just me having read & write, that didn't seem to make any difference. I have not created a guest account to test if the bug duplicates there as well.

I fiddle with images frequently, and this makes me want to downgrade back to Yosemite somehow. Hopefully someone will have ideas how I can find a permanent fix.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Apologies if this is a long read.

I upgraded to El Capitan from Yosemite several weeks back. At first any image file (png/gif/jpg) wanted to open in either Firefox or Send to Kindle. (When before it had always been Preview) Now it seems to have set to thinking every image should be opened with Send to Kindle.

So I would do Command+I on the image, and where it says, Open with: Send to Kindle (default) I would select the button that says Change All, and scroll through my list of programs until I found Preview. I'd select Preview then checkmark "always open with", then hit add. Then I'd go back to the first area, and say "change all again" and then I'd get the "Are you sure you want to change all similar documents to open with the application "Preview"? This change will apply to all documents with the extension ".png"..

This "fix" varies, it'll last every anywhere from a few minutes, to several hours. This happens on images that show or hide the extension. This all happens with images that were created pre-El Capitan. This will also happen on images that I've already applied the "fix" to. This will also happen whether or a not an image has been renamed. Upon restarting, it seems as if Send to Kindle is back to being the default image viewer on every image, but that's not always the case either.

Send to Kindle is a way for me to send files to my Kindle, whether it's an image, PDF, an ebook, whatever. I do use it and I don't want to get rid of it. And I'm afraid if I delete, another non-suitable program will take its place. (Like suddenly iTunes will volunteer as tribute and want to open all images). Send to Kindle and Preview didn't have any conflict in Yosemite at all.

I can't find anything into Send to Kindle's preferences to make it not think it should be the default image viewer, and upon clicking an image it brings up the window giving me the option to send it to my Kindle device(s), not actually open the image on my computer. Amazon doesn't really do much support for Send to Kindle, and I'm sure they'd point me back to Apple. I also imagine Apple would say, "Oh just go to High Sierra."

I also can't find anything in Preview's preferences to tell the program that I want it to be the default image viewer either.

Do I need to throw out a plist somewhere? I've tinkered with changing permissions on images to having it so me/staff/everyone can both read and write, but it also defaults to just me having read & write, that didn't seem to make any difference. I have not created a guest account to test if the bug duplicates there as well.

I fiddle with images frequently, and this makes me want to downgrade back to Yosemite somehow. Hopefully someone will have ideas how I can find a permanent fix.

I had literally the same problem months/years ago on either my OS X 'desktop' or my iOS 'phone' (I slice time from diamonds with the severity of one who uses 37 3/9 hours in every day just to get things done, so my sense of duration is somewhat compromised).

Currently preparing a ssd to install a fresh copy of ElCap on my 5,1, and--since I use the Kindle app--will report-back on said, when I can.

[edit]

Had to replace my MVC ti980 with a Sapphire 7950 Mac Ed. to get the ElCap installer to run, so testing is delayed...

[/edit]
Regards, splifingate

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.