Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have random shutdowns?

• Yes - With Apple Ram

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Yes - With 3rd Party Ram

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • No - With Apple Ram

Votes: 30 33.7%
  • No - With 3rd Party Ram

Votes: 36 40.4%

• Total voters

Gurutech

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2006
oops didn't see that :)

My brother has the apple ram 512 Megabyte that originarlly came with his MB.
And he says he's experiencing the random shutdown problem .. but not as often as some of the members in here claims.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Mine is very strange. One minute it is performing just fine, for maybe several weeks at a time, then it hits a day where it will have 10 random shutdowns and I can't get anything done!

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I did with third party, faulty RAM. Took it out, put Apple's back in and everything great. Ordering some G.Skill or Patriot this week.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
We need to specify more clearly whether they are kernel panic / shutdowns or random power offs.

The random power offs should not be caused by faulty ram. System hangs, kernel panics, etc, are caused normally by faulty ram.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Never had a random shutdown.

MacBook 2.0 with 2 GB TwinMOS RAM (cheapest kind I could find).

The only time the machine has shut itself down was actually yesterday, when I wanted to calibrate the battery and let it run completely down, past the warning and expecting the Mac to go to sleep. Instead it shut down... a bit worrying, but as long as this doesn't happen every time I calibrate the battery... :)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
None of those apply to me. Or, more than one apply to me.

I originally had random shutdowns both with only Apple ram, and a mix of Apple/non-Apple. Now I have no shutdowns.

Palladium

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
Northern Ireland, UK
Random shutdowns cured - maybe

I ordered my MacBook (with 80Gig hard drive) a week after they came out and when it arrived I fitted 2GB RAM (from Orca Logic). It worked like a dream (especially with the extra RAM). Then a fortnight after receiving it, having been away for the weekend, it refused to start up again (no bong). Swopped Apple RAM back in but no joy. Phoned Applecare who said they would send a carrier for it. Couple of days later, I tried again and it started but shut down after a couple of minutes. Over next couple of days, rescued important files, one by one. It never ran more more than a couple of minutes and restarted most reliably after a rest.
I sent it back to Applecare and got it back (with new logic board) a fortnight later. Refitted Orca RAM and all is happiness and light - until Mon 28/8/06 when it unexpectedly did a random shutdown in mid-compute (had previously been 14 days since last restart). Had to hold the power button down to get it to switch-off properly and it restarted OK. It hasn't done it again since but it did spur me to do a back-up using Super-Duper. I was worried this might be a sign of things to come, but I reason, computers never fail if you keep backing-up. Its only when there is a risk of losing valuable data that they play tricks.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
No problems at all out of my 1.83GHZ MacBook with 1GB of Apple RAM. Been solid as a rock for a few months now.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
Yes with Apple RAM. :mad: This being my first Mac, I'm not very ******* impressed after these random shutdowns.

MCDeath

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
fl
im pissed

this is really frustrating, theres another 5 page post in the forums about this. i want compensation for all the crap im having to deal with

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Beyond there being sod all software available, I've absolutely no complaint with my MacBook. Thus far (touches wood), I've not had a single problem. I'm upgrading my RAM soon, so despite that I hope the status quo is maintained.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Buschmaster said:
Mine is very strange. One minute it is performing just fine, for maybe several weeks at a time, then it hits a day where it will have 10 random shutdowns and I can't get anything done!
I had the exact same symptoms. I called AppleCare about it, they gave me a case number, and I took it to an AppleCentre to get the logic board replaced. That was several weekends ago, and i havent had a problem since.

It's not caused by RAM; if it was, there would be a kernel panic or a complete system freeze, not a cold shutdown. My new logic board seems to have fixed it, but i've also heard reports about a replacement of part of the power unit fixing it.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I'll be home this weekend. Maybe I'll slap in stock ram and bring it in... or maybe I just have to tough it out until Winter Break... We'll see what the genius bar tells me.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Strange seeing the numbers here...

People make it sound like it happens in every Macbook, but not even the majority, and a lot of people earlier on were blaming bad ram or improper seating of ram... Well... it's actually less frequent with 3rd party ram...

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
I'm surprised nobody has put together a list of known-working vendors (ie: Corsair #model number# PC2-5300 is OK)

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
mine is CTO when I bought more than two months ago. it came with Apple ram. so far I have no hardware failure or problem at all which are related with logic board issue. I think that random shutdown is something to do with logic board. if you have that, you'd better check it out.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I've not seen it mentioned here yet, but apparently there maybe a solution for the random shutdowns. A guy from http://www.macbookrandomshutdown.com has posted that he held the power button down for 3-4 seconds, and there was a high pitched beep that followed. The computer booted up fine and hasn't randomly shut down since.

No random shut downs here using 3rd party Corsair Value Select, but we are experiencing a problem not mentioned anywhere else.

After a boot, the screen stays black/blank but the computer is on.

We have contacted Apple 4 times about this, they keep asking to reset PRAM.

It works for a couple of times but then it starts again. Argghh.

Rich.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
Buschmaster said:
I did the high pitch beep thing and it helps for a little while... but only so long.
Same thing with mine. When I first turn it on in the morning, it will randomly shut down for several minutes. Holding down the power button will get it to stop rebooting, until the next morning when it all starts again. I'm calling Applecare after the long weekend. If this isn't resolved without having to be without my laptop at work for several days, I'm getting my money back and never purchasing Apple hardware again. Having to "send it in" to Apple and not having my work computer for several days is completely unacceptable.

stuuke

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
I have random shutdowns but they didn't start until recently. I think they began after I installed the fan software from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.