Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricmcgmr

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
In case you're interested in one of the new iMacs revealed last week but you're wondering how well they can run games, this article tests pretty much every Mac sold by Apple today and compared performance:

Best-Mac-for-gaming-results-V2.svg

Unsurprisingly, the 27-inch iMacs are beasts with the best performance (and also the more bang for the buck!

You can find all the results, tests, charts and comparison tables here: The Best Mac for gaming in 2019.

Reactions: vkd

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thanks for the heads up...

If you’re serious about gaming, your best bet is the 27-inch iMac. The base model with a 4 GB Radeon Pro 570 delivers great performance and has a reasonable price-tag ($1,799).

I say buy a Macbook Air for around $1000 and use the rest for a large monitor and game console if you want gaming....

Colonel Blimp

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2016
I say buy a Macbook Air for around $1000 and use the rest for a large monitor and game console if you want gaming....
I say buy a bag of apples for a couple of bucks and use the rest for a bag of oranges if you want to compare apples to oranges!

I thought Bungie were right when they thought attempting to play a first-person shooter with a console controller was “a fool’s errand,” and I still think so, regardless of how much money the Redmond Borg paid them to think otherwise.
[doublepost=1554018167][/doublepost]
In case you're interested in one of the new iMacs revealed last week but you're wondering how well they can run games, this article tests pretty much every Mac sold by Apple today and compared performance:

Best-Mac-for-gaming-results-V2.svg

Unsurprisingly, the 27-inch iMacs are beasts with the best performance (and also the more bang for the buck!

You can find all the results, tests, charts and comparison tables here: The Best Mac for gaming in 2019.
I saw that article a few days ago. It looks like Molina still hasn’t corrected “iMac (27-inch, 5K, Early 2018)” to “…Early 2019” (and that chart you pasted above doesn’t include the 2019 iMac at all).

While that survey is somewhat interesting, it’d be a lot more useful if he didn’t benchmark at only 1280x800 on medium-quality settings! While that’s a useful indication of how a Mac with integrated graphics will perform, it’s pretty useless if you’re trying to decide between a Radeon Pro 580X and a Radeon Pro Vega 48, 56, or 64X!

I’d like to see him run benchmarks at 1920x1080 and especially at 2560x1440 on high-quality graphics settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.