Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
In the US, yes, there's one cellular model that works on all carriers. Caveat, if you buy from Verizon, eSIM and carrier reveal for Nano SIM slot may be restricted. That means you may not be able to sign up for Pay-Go plans such as the $10/5GB/150 days on the iPad.

Here's a screenshot of the carrier selection for my Verizon iPad Air 3. Manual addition via QR code for other carriers fails, too. The Nano SIM slot is unlocked but the SIM has to be pre-activated with an active plan already.

Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 8.07.45 AM.png

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
In the US, yes, there's one cellular model that works on all carriers. Caveat, if you buy from Verizon, eSIM and carrier reveal for Nano SIM slot may be restricted. That means you may not be able to sign up for Pay-Go plans such as the $10/5GB/150 days on the iPad.

Here's a screenshot of the carrier selection for my Verizon iPad Air 3. Manual addition via QR code for other carriers fails, too. The Nano SIM slot is unlocked but the SIM has to be pre-activated with an active plan already.

View attachment 1767391

But I thought all iPads bought via Apple were all unlocked and can work fully on the carriers no?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
But I thought all iPads bought via Apple were all unlocked and can work fully on the carriers no?

If you buy from Apple (or Amazon, etc) yes, fully unlocked. It will show on the back of the box. Unlocked just says WiFi + Cellular. Carrier-branded shows the name of the carrier.

If you buy from Verizon or AT&T (e.g. via installment plan), they traditionally have branded models with more restrictions compared to Unlocked. The company line when you try to have said restrictions lifted is "All iPads are unlocked".

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
If you buy from Apple (or Amazon, etc) yes, fully unlocked. It will show on the back of the box. Unlocked just says WiFi + Cellular. Carrier-branded shows the name of the carrier.

If you buy from Verizon or AT&T (e.g. via installment plan), they traditionally have branded models with more restrictions compared to Unlocked. The company line when you try to have said restrictions lifted is "All iPads are unlocked".

Since I can’t order any carrier branded one via Apple. I’ll just buy either from Verizon (60 day unlock policy) or T-Mobile (an executive has helped me in the past)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Since I can’t order any carrier branded one via Apple. I’ll just buy either from Verizon (60 day unlock policy) or T-Mobile (an executive has helped me in the past)

Verizon's 60-day unlock policy only works for phones. They'll just tell you all iPads are unlocked (technically true). Good luck finding a CSR to help lift carrier visibility restrictions.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
Verizon's 60-day unlock policy only works for phones. They'll just tell you all iPads are unlocked (technically true). Good luck finding a CSR to help lift carrier visibility restrictions.

Technically true? Also. I am ‘friends’ with a T-Mobile executive who has helped me not only unlock my iPhone 12 pm but also allowed me to trade in (go directly and instantly toward the full price of the phone..not bill credits) two of my iPhones for the new one and I’ll do the same if I choose to order through T-Mobile. He was very helpful nonetheless and we’ve kept in touch since. But if what you say is true about Verizon I may choose T-Mobile and be able to use it on any carrier.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Technically true? Also. I am ‘friends’ with a T-Mobile executive who has helped me not only unlock my iPhone 12 pm but also allowed me to trade in (go directly and instantly toward the full price of the phone..not bill credits) two of my iPhones for the new one and I’ll do the same if I choose to order through T-Mobile. He was very helpful nonetheless and we’ve kept in touch since. But if what you say is true about Verizon I may choose T-Mobile and be able to use it on any carrier.

Technically true because if you insert an AT&T or T-Mobile Nano-SIM with active data plan on a Verizon-branded iPad, it will work. You just can't try to sign-up for a non-Verizon plan via Settings - Cellular.

I have no experience with T-Mobile iPads. It's AT&T, Verizon and Sprint pre-merger that I know from experience have previously imposed restrictions on carrier visibility.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
Technically true because if you insert an AT&T or T-Mobile Nano-SIM with active data plan on a Verizon-branded iPad, it will work. You just can't try to sign-up for a non-Verizon plan via Settings - Cellular.

I have no experience with T-Mobile iPads. It's AT&T, Verizon and Sprint pre-merger that I know from experience have previously imposed restrictions on carrier visibility.

I just ordered the Verizon 12.9 256 sg so will see how that goes. I’m running out of phones to trade in willingly lol

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The iPads I’ve bought from TMobile have always been unlocked from the get go…even on EIP

IF you’re ‘friends’ with a TMO exec., why would you buy an iPad from VZW ?

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2019
The iPads I’ve bought from TMobile have always been unlocked from the get go…even on EIP

IF you’re ‘friends’ with a TMO exec., why would you buy an iPad from VZW ?

Because ultimately I’m going to use it on Verizon anyway. You have a point but I’ll be asking my friend for a favor when the next iPhone comes out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.