Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Decided to make a new thread - the others talk about how to run it/how well it runs on Mac.

Love and grew up on Star Trek (TOS). I know of this game and ran it when it first came out but my budget PC at the time had trouble.

Now that I have a gaming PC, and saw this video - I'm giving it a try:

WOW - this thing is FREE?

Runs really nicely - the graphics aren't the greatest, but it is meant to run on older hardware (nice especially now that trying to get decent hardware is expensive).

Anyone else playing?

Loving the little I'm playing so far...

I can see why there's really no new Star Trek games out there as this one is Free To Play on all platforms (including Xbox One and PS4) and there's enough older games out there that don't need online access.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I love Star Trek Online! I have been playing for a few years on a custom built PC (w/ a GeForce GTX 660). I replaced the PC in November with a new Mac mini 2018. I am currently using a ASUS XG Station Pro eGPU enclosure with a Sapphire RX 580. Unlikely my PC, which I was using Windows and Steam, my mini's setup is with Playonmac using wine version 3.17. I am experiencing graphical artifacts with my new setup. I believe I am running at higher graphical settings than the PC, but nothing the RX 580 can't handle (based on the the two card's comparisons). I am wondering if my problems are: macOS + playonamc vs. windows + steam, graphics cards (I have heard STO developers prefer nvidia and the game is optimized for such), or the eGPU vs. PCIe bandwidth.

What are your experiences with the game? How are the graphics and what settings are you using?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.