Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
hi, so i didn't change anything, but now i have a black screen during playback of all website videos (the ads first load & play fine (of course!)...
- audio is playing fine
- captions & described video fine
- tried on Firefox & Safari, & it's the same thing on both...
- no ad blockers installed...
- didn't change anything,
- was just working fine
- argghhhh!
1691095551699.png

1691095151273.png

Last edited:

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
Same black screen on YouTube videos?

Have you tried a simple restart of your Mac?
yes & yes. youtube ads play fine, videos are black & Youtube thumbnails are grey squares...
1691116880809.png

...I was using Firefox & it was fine earlier, then i checked Safari browser, & it has the same issue?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What version of macOS are you using now?

Just as a test - try a video in MS Edge browser. That's my go-to when I want to use a browser that is distinctly different from Safari.

Just grabbing at straws, here: Try restarting your router.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada

Just as a test - try a video in MS Edge browser. That's my go-to when I want to use a browser that is distinctly different from Safari.

Using macOS Ventura 13.5 ... i usually use Firefox, so i tried with Safari & the same thing, & I just downloaded Chrome & the video will start playing, then freeze, & the audio keeps playing, with a frozen frame, but if you go full-screen in Chrome, the screen goes black. i reset my iMac, deleted & reinstalled Firefox.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
Are you using a VPN? Have you cleared the cache and cookies?
no vpn & i deleted & reinstalled Firefox, & downloaded Chrome, & it will start playing using Chrome, then the video will freeze, the audio keeps playing, but if you go full-screen, the whole screen goes black, then back
1691382052117.png
1691381989640.png

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada

using macOS Ventura 13.5 & yes, tried restarted the router yes.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What display/cable connection are you using? A black screen on an HDMI connection can indicate a copy protection problem.

Reactions: Gravydog316

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
What display/cable connection are you using? A black screen on an HDMI connection can indicate a copy protection problem.
no cable, just the regular setup; my mom reformatted our iMac & it's working now thanks. Could have been a macOS Beta bug, so we'll see if it happens again :) ...but now i have a new problem, searching doesn't return any results on our external hard drive where we store everything. Tried rebuilding the Spotlight index in Settings, but still nothing...

maxglitz

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2017
This post was from August 2023. It is now March 2024. Problem still happening.

Ditto the blank screen with nothing but ads audio. Restarts don't phase it. Wondered if it's the Sonoma 14.4 fiasco that's been documented a lot lately. I'm still on OS 14.3.1. OS 14 has been catching hell allover, and though 14.4.1 is now out and there are still warnings to wait for the braver folks to take a chance on it before updating.

I believe this YouTube problem is becoming a common thing as I've seen other people Googling for the same thing. But for me, it's fine in Firefox latest version as of March 25, 2024.

For the reason that so many others seem to be asking about this YouTube glitch, I'm not checking on many of the suggestions above. It's not an individual problem it seems.

Reactions: Gravydog316

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2016
Canada
This post was from August 2023. It is now March 2024. Problem still happening.

Ditto the blank screen with nothing but ads audio. Restarts don't phase it. Wondered if it's the Sonoma 14.4 fiasco that's been documented a lot lately. I'm still on OS 14.3.1. OS 14 has been catching hell allover, and though 14.4.1 is now out and there are still warnings to wait for the braver folks to take a chance on it before updating.

I believe this YouTube problem is becoming a common thing as I've seen other people Googling for the same thing. But for me, it's fine in Firefox latest version as of March 25, 2024.

For the reason that so many others seem to be asking about this YouTube glitch, I'm not checking on many of the suggestions above. It's not an individual problem it seems.
I'm using macOS 13.3.6 ...seems to have stopped,but Firefox works a lot faster & better for me than Safari or Chrome. Safari is slow & basically useless;

but... one new issue I have with Firefox now is that after waking from Sleep Mode,
sometimes there is no audio with Firefox, (ie. youtube videos play, but have no audio)
but macOS still has sound effects & plays sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.