Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einarso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Norway
Hi,

I have a critical problem! Suddenly my Mac OsX server is not routing traffic to my websites, and just sends all traffic to the server website. I do not think I have done anything for this to change, but it has worked correctly for a few years now. This means all of my websites are basicly offline!

Can anyone give me any tips on how to fix this? I see there is no green light on the left side of each site (see pictures).

I have tried to restart the mac and the server program. I have also tried to turn Websites off and on again.

I have OS X El Capitan, and Server app version 5.2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 10.05.39.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 10.05.39.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 363
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.00.50.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 11.00.50.png
    664.5 KB · Views: 284

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Whenever you have multiple websites listening on the same IP address and port, you must use host headers. In other words, each website must know the host (i.e. www.example.com) that it is delivering content for.

einarso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Norway
Hmmm... I have not made any changes and it has been working for years.... "Host headers" is not something I thought I had to worry about, the Server app did the tough stuff for me....

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I’m not sure how Apple manages Apache, the underlying web engine. Frankly, this is the reason I avoid macOS on a server unless required, as it is much easier to configure a Linux box for web services.

Sorry I am not of help. I could fix this in Apache easily but I’m not sure how Apple does it.

einarso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Norway
I’m not sure how Apple manages Apache, the underlying web engine. Frankly, this is the reason I avoid macOS on a server unless required, as it is much easier to configure a Linux box for web services.

I see :)
...and many do not see the reason of using the server app, but now that is what I have and I am sure I can uninstall and set up my own programs/services but I do not have the time to do that now :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.