Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aj_niner

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2023
Screen Shot 2024-04-04 at 12.27.27 PM.png

Posting times of articles on MR are set to "PDT" for all registered MR user. Is it possible that it reflects our local time like any other MR forum post or thread?

It makes figuring out how "new" or "stale" the article is from our perspective.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
for me, i would prefer that articles' time reference matches the date and time of the location where where it is published.
so, if Macrumors generally publishes its articles using a West Coast location, then that sounds right.
this is the standard in news and publishing. its the way we can tell who is first reporting news of merit, and we can compare macrumors and 9to5 mac and apple insider, to see who is actually doing the best job of really giving us the best coverage of apple related news.

however, forum post dates/times should always reflect my local set timezone as per its macrumors preferences setting.
i assume that is how it works right now. if not, then i think that change would be useful for people who are posting in forums.

Last edited:

pdxw

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2016
I, for one, agree completely with @arc of the universe. I prefer that time references for articles remain as they are: according to the place of publication.

When I browse the news on the BBC or the Sydney Morning Herald, I do not expect them to show articles in my local timezone, because they are not local news sites.

Why should this site be any different from just about every news site on the planet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.