Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Probably won't get any answer but anyway

I'm using Final Cut Pro latest version and I can edit RAW 8K/4K footage from Canon R5 without proxy or "optimized media" with no issues at all. All works smoothly. Edited hundreds of hours of movies from the Canon R5 (and R6 for that matter)

The other day I bought a GoPro 11 black hero or whatever it's called, and now I'm really struggling to edit those files. FCP hangs and the ball is almost static whenever I try to add some effects or just playing back clips. This with both "optimized media" and "proxy" (ProRes422) selected. I do film in 5.3K 60fps 10 bit.

Is there a way around this? Am I just doing something wrong here?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You could try first converting the GoPro video to prores and then importing that into FCP.

Foghiker

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
Hey Dockland

Since I am all new to this.
Honest question: What is the difference between a transcoded and a not transcoded file?
(Yes, I googled that, but I am intrigued in your particular case)

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Hey Dockland

Since I am all new to this.
Honest question: What is the difference between a transcoded and a not transcoded file?
(Yes, I googled that, but I am intrigued in your particular case)

From the GoPro? Apparently FCP doesn't like the H265-format(s) for editing, but prefer Apple ProRes422.
The technical details i don't have a clue about unfortunately

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Yup sounds like a codec problem, it's crapping out on native format of gorpo either the codec/container. Transcoding is the answer.
New to GoPro can I change the native format to RAW or likewise in the camera to RAW or something more editable?

• Haha
Reactions: EzisAA

Foghiker

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2023
Thank you for your answer. This is all i needed to know. Upon the technical details i will stumble one day, for sure.
Today is day 22 with my very first Mac device. All is new and I feel like a sixty year old, sitting the very first time in front of any kind of computer. *lol*
Interesting and good to know, yet it comes unexpected.
I wonder if there is any loss in quality, while performing a transcoding?!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The other day I bought a GoPro 11 black hero or whatever it's called, and now I'm really struggling to edit those files.
I have a GoPro 11 Black too. I've only used it a few times, but I had no problem at all importing video into iMovie and editing it on an M1 MacBook Pro.

Reactions: AF_APPLETALK

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
I have a GoPro 11 Black too. I've only used it a few times, but I had no problem at all importing video into iMovie and editing it on an M1 MacBook Pro.
5.3K 10-bit color depth, highest level of video stabilization and highest bit rate @60p?

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Good question. I didn't think of that. Get Info on one of the videos says resolution 5312 × 2988, 8 bit, 30 fps, 60Mbps. So definitely not 10 bit color.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
New to GoPro can I change the native format to RAW or likewise in the camera to RAW or something more editable?
Might be able to. I have a GoPro 7, I export as 264, not sure if I set that or that is default. Been awhile since I fooled around with it, because it's kinda been set and forget. Maybe spend some time going through the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.