Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
I noticed this burnt-like looking mark on my Alpine Loop after I washed it in Oxyclean. Maybe it is just coincidence and I got the mark somewhere else. I don’t smoke or use lighters. Also, no grilling or any other open flame.
Anyone has any idea how would this be possible. Photo below.

Attachments

• E04DC99D-16DA-4841-8D2B-9EEE870CC150.jpeg
    E04DC99D-16DA-4841-8D2B-9EEE870CC150.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 244

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I noticed this burnt-like looking mark on my Alpine Loop after I washed it in Oxyclean. Maybe it is just coincidence and I got the mark somewhere else. I don’t smoke or use lighters. Also, no grilling or any other open flame.
Anyone has any idea how would this be possible. Photo below.
Maybe it was the Oxyclean?

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Maybe it was the Oxyclean?
That’s what I am wondering. It cleaned the band really good just by leaving it in water and oxyclean. The weird thing is this happened only on one of them but I cleaned others at the same time.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
It was almost certainly the cleaning solution. If you google ‘OxiClean metal safe’ or something to that effect, you’ll see many similar stories. Whatever finishing/coating Apple applies may have been a bit thinner there, or it could have just randomly happened in that spot. These metals are tough, but they can also be very finicky, especially when it comes to chemical reactions and their finish. Maybe just some Dawn and water next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: akidokraja

chiptx

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2020
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I ran into the same problem after soaking my alpine loop in oxyclean. (Wish I saw this first!) Did anyone find a way to remove / buff out the damaged metal?

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I ran into the same problem after soaking my alpine loop in oxyclean. (Wish I saw this first!) Did anyone find a way to remove / buff out the damaged metal?
I didn’t try. I switched to Garmin all day use so only use ultra for running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.