Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I got a T-Mobile SIM for tablets a few weeks ago for a penny, it was on sale. If I activate my new iPad Air 2 for T-Mobile's free 200MB a month, should I not waste the activation on the Apple SIM and just use my T-Mobile SIM? I figured I could save the Apple SIM in case I ever wanted to use AT&T or Verizon's network.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I got a T-Mobile SIM for tablets a few weeks ago for a penny, it was on sale. If I activate my new iPad Air 2 for T-Mobile's free 200MB a month, should I not waste the activation on the Apple SIM and just use my T-Mobile SIM? I figured I could save the Apple SIM in case I ever wanted to use AT&T or Verizon's network.

Yes, use the T-Mobile SIM and save the Apple SIM for other service at a later time.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

It won't work with Verizon and once you activate it for sprint or t-mobile you can only use those 2 networks.i would save it for AT&T if you ever want to change or sprint

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
It doesn't really make much of a difference at the moment, since the carrier support for the Apple SIM is so limited. Also, you can always get a new Apple SIM for 5 bucks. And with a little luck, AT&T SIMs can be had for free at AT&T or Apple stores.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Apple SIM can only be provisioned in Air 2 and Mini 3. If you plan to use some other cellular device in the near future, you might want to save the T-Mobile SIM for that.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Doesn't really matter but since you have the T-Mobile sim, might as well use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.